brakes, sway bars, arms

ponyetr

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm doing a frame off resto on my GN, and there's some thinks I'd like to change and was wondering what you guys think.

1. Want to go with tubular arms and bigger brakes up front...where's the best place to get them?
2. Was thinking about going with aftermarket sway bars, front and back, are they worth it??

Thanks

As far as brakes go, you have a few options.
1. The (so called) ZQ8 setup. This is from 2wd Blazers (I think) from late 90s early 2000s (again, I think). This setup uses 11" rotors and 2 piston cast iron calipers. Its a good upgrade from stock, and you can still use stock components if you wish as ths spindles are the same height. Can use stock wheels with these.

2. B-Body brakes. 11" and 12" versions. Uses a taller spindle, so you need the tubular upper arms to get these to work. Uses a single piston cast iron caliper. Stock GN wheels won't work, I believe the T type wheels will.Decent set up, I've used it on two cars, with slightly different results. The Cutlass stops pretty well with this setup, but bump steer is horrible. The GN had very little noticable bumpsteer with this, but the braking wasn't quite what I was hoping for. Which leads to....

3. LS1/C5 brakes. LS1s are a 12x1.25" rotor, C5s are a 13x1.25" rotor. You need 16" wheels for the LS1s and 17" wheels for the C5 rotor. These use a 2 piston aluminum caliper, with the C5s having slightly smaller pistons. This setup is usually put together on a modified stock spindle. Some cutting and drilling is required, but its not real bad. If I can do it anybody can. I swapped the GN over to the LS1s along with SC&C adjustable upper arms and tall ball joints.

4. Baer. You can buy a bolt on package if you wish, the setups mentioned above are a little more DIY style, but it really depends on what you want. This should give you a start, theres lots of info around here on the various setups.

As far as swaybars, it depends on what you want to do with the car. What do you want out of the car?

I'm trying to basically get the best ride for the money. I was told the stock sways would be fine, but was just curious as far as what differences guys with aftermarkets noticed.

Stainless Steel Brakes(ssbrakes.com) has a few options for our cars. I've got ATR(out of bus.) front and rear swaybars. The rear bar(huge) keeps my car straight as an arrow on launch(sold the airbags). There are a number of companies out there selling big swaybars. Call Summit and ask what they've got. They don't list alot of Buick stuff in their catalogs, but have it in stock anyway.