You can type here any text you want

Brand NEW fuel sending unit and dash fuel gauge issues.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Yes the fuel sender is for my application by a well known quality company.
I installed a brand new Fuel sending unit and now the fuel gauge is very lazy.
Example - the tank was empty and the gauge marked empty then i put four gallons of fuel and it took about 20 minutes for the gauge to move off of the empty mark.
THEN i put another 12 gallons of fuel and the gauge was stuck at the 1/4 tank mark for at least 2 hours --this included some driving and sitting time.
Thinking that maybe my gauge took a dump i unplugged the new sender and plugged in the old sender and moved the float up and down and check the gauge and the gauge was working just fine-- all the way up it marked full, all the way down it marked empty and so on.
i then proceeded to reconnect the new sender and the gauge went back to same spot that it was before (1/4 tank). I then took the car for another drive and the gauge started moving up very slowly it took about another 15 minutes before it reached to just below the 3/4 tank mark on the gauge.(4 + 12 should be higher than "just below the 3/4 mark")
BTW when i installed the float onto the sending unit i verified that it clipped all the way into the plastic clips. I also moved it all the way up and down (but i did not check the gauge at this time)
and i test fitted the unit twice into the tank and it fit good no forcing touch bending or any other issues.
What should be my next step?
Thanks for your help.
David

does it have any kind of buffer module? sometimes they do this to prevent erratic movement from fuel sloshing. did you key on/key off a few times to see if it leveled out?

This thing seems to be working but the shitty part is not being able to feel confident about how much fuel you have.
it goes down to 1/2 and up to full.
what is the capacity of these gas tanks? 19 gals.?
thanks for your help.

Back