Break In Miles

Ive put a few of mine on the dyno minutes after starting them. The first miles were on the rollers. Start it up and make sure its not rich and get the oil up to temp. Then throw some boost at it. Waiting 500 miles isnt going to help anything.

My engine builder (Pete Barton of ANS) told me to not apply boost for 500 miles. I did that and knock on wood... the engine still runs great after 9 years and 15k miles.

Most engine builders that give you the 500 to 1,500 mile break in is to cover their own AZZ with the warranty they provided you it is purely BS, if the engine is built right like turbofabricator said you should break it in just like he stated on his post, rings need heat and pressure to seat properly in the bore and you only have a narrow window to do it because the hone that was done on the block wont last more than 200 miles and once the hone goes smooth on you, you end up with a loose motor and lots of blow by because the rings were not seated properly.. :)

Got flamed for the info from my engine builder but right or wrong, I followed his 500 mile advice, and the car runs easy 10's... gets over 20+ mpg, does not smoke , leak or have a noisy valve train after 9+ years and thousands of miles :)

Got flamed for the info from my engine builder but right or wrong, I followed his 500 mile advice, and the car runs easy 10's... gets over 20+ mpg, does not smoke , leak or have a noisy valve train after 9+ years and thousands of miles :)
You did what you were told and it all worked out. Thats all that matters.

The way I look at it, if it's gonna go, it's gonna go. If it survives the 20 minutes of break in it's good to get the snot beat out of it. After an oil change of course.

Broke my cam in, changed the oil and got the car on the street. Drove straight to the highway (tuning the XFI on the way) and did about 3 17 lb pulls.
Drove the car home.

The motor now has 550 miles and is running perfect. Probably hit 21 psi about 100 times in 550 miles. Everything is 100%. I just have to retorque the head gaskets now. :)

Thanks for the knowledge guys. Looks like my motor should already have been broken in by now. Exhaust work gets done tomorrow(hopefully) and if Cottons gets plenum spacers in stock this week I should be able to push her for all shes worth this weekend. Im going to post process for manipulating a GN1 3.5" downpipe tomorrow if I can get some good under the car pics.