You can type here any text you want

Breaks up at W.O.T

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

getdowngranny

Mr. Fix It
I took the car out today for the first time in a few months. Made a few WOT passes and everything worked fine. Then after a while of cruising I went WOT again and it started sputtering. Car drives fine other than WOT. Every thing looks good other than AF readings. They look fine all the way up to the 140 range. The AF tops out between 140-170 max. I have a stock MAF. I suspect it to be the culprit but I don't want to throw parts at it. What else should I look at. All other scanmaster readings are normal. Also car runs and idles fine as before. Just sputtering at WOT. No powerlogger.

Can a bad coil or module cause these symptoms with these AF readings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start with the usual. Have you done anything to it lately? If so retrace that back and double check. If not start with plugs and work back. What is your gap?

No changes. Just a vacuum pump that doesn't seem to be the cause. My plugs were gapped at 32 NGK yr5. Like I mentioned it was fine for a few wot blasts. Then I tried it again and the sputtering started and stayed only under wot.

The MAF is where I would start. Is there anyone near you that could loan you a known good one to try?

When I use to run a MAF I had that happen same exact symptoms and it was the MAF. Stay away from buying from the local parts stores on these, I think Kirban has the best deal on MAF's for our cars.

I have 2 lt1 mafs but no translator. I don't want to throw parts at it and have no one local with a Buick.

Translator and never look back ....fixed or not.

Fought the same issue several times, once was the maf but I since went XFI. Have had a bad ignition module/coilpac once as the culprit. And I gap my plugs a little tighter, .028. Betting it is the maf.

Since your AF readings are only 140 at WOT, that certainly points to a bad MAF!! Probably went/goes bad with heat soak.
Avoid WOT pulls until you get this issue resolved!!!!
If you do decide to go with a remanufactured maf, check with Kirbans for the best chance of getting a good one. DO NOT buy over the counter locally!!

Translator and never look back ....fixed or not.

You know I actually went from a stock MAF to a LS1 & Translator and back to a stock MAF. The Translator was just a big hassle to me and I never really could get it right. The car just never ran as well as it did with the stock MAF. Of course now I run FAST.

Plug gap
Maf
coilpack
If its the maf, I would go SD2. I hated the translater stuff.

All other scanmaster readings are normal.
Meaning TPS is reading correct and over 4-something volts at WOT?

I've read some people have had luck with MAF cleaners which I'm guessing is like carb or brake cleaners but with chemicals that are nice to electronics.

Plug gap
Maf
coilpack
If its the maf, I would go SD2. I hated the translater stuff.
I dont have a powerlogger or a wideband...... I know... I know..... I should really step up and go that route. I just do not have the funds to go that direction right now.

I dont have a powerlogger or a wideband...... I know... I know..... I should really step up and go that route. I just do not have the funds to go that direction right now.
Ya, I know... those wheels would break almost anyone..lol.... I want a set really bad!

You know I actually went from a stock MAF to a LS1 & Translator and back to a stock MAF. The Translator was just a big hassle to me and I never really could get it right. The car just never ran as well as it did with the stock MAF. Of course now I run FAST.
Wow, you are the first one I have heard this from. LT1 mafs are not as good as the 3.5 in sensor. 3in mafs fail all the time at work. I would never get one out of a junkyard either.:)

Wow, you are the first one I have heard this from. LT1 mafs are not as good as the 3.5 in sensor. 3in mafs fail all the time at work. I would never get one out of a junkyard either.:)

I just wasn't that impressed for what I spent to change it and what I got out of it. Just me maybe? I had the translator hooked up in my console instead out under the hood like most I had seen. It was cool to be able to make changes to timing and fuel inside the car, I don't know the car just never ran as well as it did with a stock MAF and a race chip. I've had the XFI now for a couple of years and very happy with it.

The regular translator and a LS1 is the answer if your MAF is bad.

Its simple plug and play. SD2 isn't a jump i'd make unless you really understand how to tune and make adjustments. IMO

The problem is intermittent and I have checked everything else. I will be installing an LS1 MAF and a GEN 2 Translator. I will be using my TT chip for now and then move to the extender extreme g chip in the future when I get comfortable using the gen 2. Hopefully this cures my issues.

I find the GEN2 to a PITA, reg translator much more user friendly.

Hi fellas, I realize this post is very old but I find myself with a verysimilar issue. i have checked all the above comments.. In high gear my car breaks ups at 5100rpm.. thru 1st and second gear under full boost there arent any issues. If I throw more boost at it, it breaks up at lower rpm ranges. Possibly valve springs? Just got it back from Tune Time and threy seem to think its ignition related. Thanks!

Back