You can type here any text you want

BS3 & tunning help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

larry33kc

I have the motor in sig. that is tuned W/ BS3. I am completely new and don't understand what to do.

I first want to check my config. I will provide a PIC. Is my crank ref ok? and what is that? Is there anything out of wack? Also my startline VE is 156, is this right and what is it? I have so many questions. I just want my car to run good and be save.

Basically I would love someone to explain the screens and what they do. Actually I think that would be a great sticky if some of the experts would explain the screens and how to use them.

Please help I would like to know how to tune this. TIA

Attachments

• BS3%20(Medium).jpg
    BS3%20(Medium).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 209
I was also looking through the program and saw my

ESC parameters are
Knock retard rate = 160.0 deg
Knock retard rate = 160.0 deg
Max ESC = 16.00 deg

Does this look right?

I would look for someone locally that can help you with this. I think it's pretty risky for you to play around with the software. Post in your local section and see if anyone tunes BS3 out your way. Maybe go to some local TNT track events, etc. Good luck.

Ya done that. Nobody around that dosn't charge. I will probably take it to them at some point but, for right now I just want to learn.

Is there nobody that can look at my screens and help?

BS3 help

Below are some of the parameters I used. I don't claim to know anymore than yourself just passing along some parameters. The engine run just fine on the dyno. Since then I have given up on BS3, frustrated by the lack of support.
(at the manufacturer level). I do have a brand new BS3 (unused) for sale if anyone is looking.

Number of Cylinders 6
Control Algorithm Speed Density
Cotrol Feedback Closed Loop
Throttle Position Sensor Type GM
Manifold Absolute Pressure 3

18 Operating Configuration Key F5

TPS
% idle 2%
flood 80%

Rev Limit
Rev Limit On RPM 5750
Rev Limit Off RPM 5400
2 Step RPM 3000

Fueling Parameters
Injector Flowrate (cc/min) x 10 or 10.5 720
Engine Size in3 232

Crank Trigger
Crank Reference (deg) 10
Inductive Delay (us) 24

COP
Crank Reference (deg) n/a

Fan Control
Fan On Temp (F) 185
Fan Off Temp (F) 168

Fuel Pump 20 seconds

Drive Train
Rear Gear Ratio (n:1) 3.42
Tire Diameter (in) 28

Pickup Wheels
Driveshaft (Pulse/rev) n/a
Crankshaft (Pulse/rev) n/a

19 Dwell Time Table default
6 ms max lower on rpm axis

So help me understand this, you claim the car ran great on the dyno but didn't get support from the manufacture level??? You then have a unused BS3 for sale, is that the same ECU that worked fine on the dyno?? Also, who is you dealer you purchased the (unused) ECU from because it appears the problem lies within the dealers lack of support and not the manufacture.

I'm curious what help you needed at a manufacture level. Maybe I can help out.

Below are some of the parameters I used. I don't claim to know anymore than yourself just passing along some parameters. The engine run just fine on the dyno. Since then I have given up on BS3, frustrated by the lack of support.
(at the manufacturer level). I do have a brand new BS3 (unused) for sale if anyone is looking.

Number of Cylinders 6
Control Algorithm Speed Density
Cotrol Feedback Closed Loop
Throttle Position Sensor Type GM
Manifold Absolute Pressure 3

18 Operating Configuration Key F5

TPS
% idle 2%
flood 80%

Rev Limit
Rev Limit On RPM 5750
Rev Limit Off RPM 5400
2 Step RPM 3000

Fueling Parameters
Injector Flowrate (cc/min) x 10 or 10.5 720
Engine Size in3 232

Crank Trigger
Crank Reference (deg) 10
Inductive Delay (us) 24

COP
Crank Reference (deg) n/a

Fan Control
Fan On Temp (F) 185
Fan Off Temp (F) 168

Fuel Pump 20 seconds

Drive Train
Rear Gear Ratio (n:1) 3.42
Tire Diameter (in) 28

Pickup Wheels
Driveshaft (Pulse/rev) n/a
Crankshaft (Pulse/rev) n/a

19 Dwell Time Table default
6 ms max lower on rpm axis

I have the motor in sig. that is tuned W/ BS3. I am completely new and don't understand what to do.

I first want to check my config. I will provide a PIC. Is my crank ref ok? and what is that? Is there anything out of wack? Also my startline VE is 156, is this right and what is it? I have so many questions. I just want my car to run good and be save.

Basically I would love someone to explain the screens and what they do. Actually I think that would be a great sticky if some of the experts would explain the screens and how to use them.

Please help I would like to know how to tune this. TIA

There isn't anybody here that can answer the question if your crank reference angle is OK. I assume your tuner would have confirmed your spark timing is correct and made adjustments already.... If not then you need to confirm actual timing with a timing light and adjust your reference angle until it matches... Your start line VE should be 0 not 156 so you need to change that when 12v is applied to the 2 step it will go to 156 VE and flood the engine out, I am suprised the tuner you used didn't catch that.

I suggest flying out a tuner to tune your engine and explain the software or download and read the software instructions online at Bigstuff3.Com if you get some time. The instructions explain in detail what each screen is for...

Here's the deal. The car was built by someone else, and he was talked into installing BS3 by a vendor from this board which I will not name at this time. They dyno tuned it a few times, and never could get to run right. The owner then let a co worker take a look at it and got it running pretty good. That is how I ended up with the car.

I did try to call BS3 on Monday because my computer would not talk to the car, and the guy I talked to was a real AZZ. It was all I could do to keep my cool. So I tried to explain that I didn't know anything about their system and tunning. I don't think after that I will be asking them for tunning help.
Flying someone out to tune it is not an option Not made of money LOL. I do have someone close that will tune it for $550. But I don't have the money for that.
I would like to have someone look at my screens and help me to understand them. I would just like to learn how to tune myself.

Thanks for the offer.

So help me understand this, you claim the car ran great on the dyno but didn't get support from the manufacture level??? You then have a unused BS3 for sale, is that the same ECU that worked fine on the dyno?? Also, who is you dealer you purchased the (unused) ECU from because it appears the problem lies within the dealers lack of support and not the manufacture.

I am not trying to steal the thread, just sharing some of the Original Poster's angst.

Thanks Stage2V6Racer for your offer to help, I would like to take you up on it. I bought the original BS3 through Precision. When I got my motor back from the dyno (616hp thanks to the tuner) it was missing parts of the harness and Full Throttle had a good deal on a new BS3 so I bought another one but have never put power to it. Like the OP I pulled my hair out when talking with Mr. Meaney. So I walked away from it.
So now I have a FAST system with support thats a phone call away from Cal (the dealer). I was able to take the FAST course put on by Comp Cams (by manufacturer) last year in Memphis. There was a cost involved but at least the course was available.

I would like to revisit the BS3 and learn what I can. Thats what got me interested in this thread. (Still have an extra BS).

S2V6Racer PM me your contact info if you don't mind and I'll put the details into an eamil for you. Any chance you'll be in Reynolds? I'll be there as a spectator. (I hope Cal has a couple of the COP brackets with him).

I am not trying to steal the thread, just sharing some of the Original Poster's angst.

Thanks Stage2V6Racer for your offer to help, I would like to take you up on it. I bought the original BS3 through Precision. When I got my motor back from the dyno (616hp thanks to the tuner) it was missing parts of the harness and Full Throttle had a good deal on a new BS3 so I bought another one but have never put power to it. Like the OP I pulled my hair out when talking with Mr. Meaney. So I walked away from it.
So now I have a FAST system with support thats a phone call away from Cal (the dealer). I was able to take the FAST course put on by Comp Cams (by manufacturer) last year in Memphis. There was a cost involved but at least the course was available.

I would like to revisit the BS3 and learn what I can. Thats what got me interested in this thread. (Still have an extra BS).

S2V6Racer PM me your contact info if you don't mind and I'll put the details into an eamil for you. Any chance you'll be in Reynolds? I'll be there as a spectator. (I hope Cal has a couple of the COP brackets with him).

Before I can move forward helping I need to know if the ECU headers say "PTE BUICK" on them as well as the box you got from Mike.

I will not be at Reynolds this year, sorry.... :(

BS3 Pics

Hi Ted,

I sent you a PM but wasn't sure how to add pics to a PM.
Below are the 2 Big Stuffs I have

Attachments

• BS3a.jpg
    BS3a.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 127
  • BS3b.jpg
    BS3b.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 139
  • BS3c.jpg
    BS3c.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 149
  • BS3d.jpg
    BS3d.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 129
That is a PTE Buick box. I can tell you that Bigstuff 3 does not stock wiring harness's for that box, that box was developed for Precision only and Precision developed the harness. The wiring that you are missing must be purchased through PTE. That box has a lot of extras and is a incredible value for the price. Give Pete at Precision a call.

Back