You can type here any text you want

buick v6 231 turbo crank

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kad5118

Hello

I have a question to ask you guys turbo buick.I have a hot air non sfi buick motor that i plan on restoring with a couple of performance goodies nothing too fancy.Its a 3.8 that came out of my 80 turbo monte carlo.this motor is going in my 80 pontiac lemans and I plan on rebuilding block.I am looking for hores power levels to be around 450 to 500 hp.Can the stock crank from the early 80s carb turbo 3.8 handle this power lever.

So you are looking to build a carbed turbo 231 V6 that makes 450hp? If that is true you better look for something with 2 more cylinders. That is going to be a pretty tall order for non-fuel injected engine. But to answer your question, the turbo specific crank will survive fine if the detonation is kept to a minimum. For more info on the carbed stuff go down a few forums to the before black. That is where most of the N/A and crbed turbo stuff is discussed.

it going to be a blow through efi throttle body setup .I have a holset hc1 turbo for it also.what power level is considered fine?

Since you're going with a blow through system contact warwagon (Adam) on here. His car is a blow through car and he's done quite well with it so far.;)

And you can get 400+ HP out of a draw through system but it requires a lot of work. One of the 301 TTA guys is now in the 400+ range but that's a 301 Pontiac, although he's only running 14 PSI on a modified turbo.:D

Since you're going with a blow through system contact warwagon (Adam) on here. His car is a blow through car and he's done quite well with it so far.;)

And you can get 400+ HP out of a draw through system but it requires a lot of work. One of the 301 TTA guys is now in the 400+ range but that's a 301 Pontiac, although he's only running 14 PSI on a modified turbo.:D

ok how would i go by contacting warwagon

ok how would i go by contacting warwagon

At the top of the page you should see "inbox". Hover over it with your mouse and a drop down menu will appear. You'll see "start conversation" and if you click on it, another page loads. Type the name of the person you want to contact in the recipient area. Wait for a second or 2 and the name of the person and avitar will show. Click on that and add a title and below that type your message. Hit send and then wait for a reply.;)

Ah, with a blow thru there is the potential to get close to your goal. What are the plans for the engine/car? If you are going into the engine anyway build a 4.1L and put in an aftermarket crank. You obviously are not going to use any of the intake stuff from the Monte anyway so you aren't married to the engine. If it is a "hold my beer and watch this" type car then run the wee out of it and who cares. Nothing in life is a sure thing but I would have no issues running that engine at that power level.

If the turbo crank has not been abused it will be ok up too the power your looking for just keep it secured in the block and try and keep it from flexing too much, it is cast after all.

well this motor is going in my 1980 pontiac lemans.The plan for the car is for it to be a DD as well as a once in a while dragstrip runner.I have looked into stroking it but thats too much as far as cost im thinking maybe.I know that I said 450 to 500 horse power levels but I would be glad if i can land in the 400 to 45o range in horsepower to ensure that my block and crank hold together.

tb.jpg
v6 intake.png
-GN-INTERCOOLER.jpg
whc1.jpg

These are the parts that i have so far expect for the pro - jay elbow that will be coming in the future.but everything esle for the turbo ,intake,and intercooler i got all of them off ebay for under 500 dollars with shipping and taxes included.I will be getting a cam for the motor next week nothing too extreme.A step up from the stock cam.

That's a holley intake and if you've got high port heads it won't work. If they're low port you'll be ok though. If you look at the drivers side of the intake you'll see the center side has a section that sticks up and the ports are lower so the intake ports won't line up with the head ports.

ok I dont know if i hould have a problem or not but if so it will be for sale.I have the stock 1980 heads i dont think that my heads are high port.

1980 heads should be high port. They will have freeze plugs in the ends of the head. Correct me if I am wrong Charlie.

what ar is that turbo?
it looks really small to expect 400 hp
and its a 4 bolt more than likely a very high A/R ,
you want .63 , 82 would be laggy without a high stall converter a that might be over 1.00 ..it wont spool well at all on a small cube motor

for 500 you probably could have bought a complete hot air motor

1980 heads should be high port. They will have freeze plugs in the ends of the head. Correct me if I am wrong Charlie.

All even fire heads have freeze plugs in the ends of the head. The odd fire don't. The low port heads were produced from mid 77 until late 78 and the high ports were 79 up. There's a huge difference between high and low port heads and you can't swap intakes except flr the KB #1 intake since it was designed so it would fit either and left enough meat in the ports so you could port match the to high ports heads for better flow.

what ar is that turbo?
it looks really small to expect 400 hp
and its a 4 bolt more than likely a very high A/R ,
you want .63 , 82 would be laggy without a high stall converter a that might be over 1.00 ..it wont spool well at all on a small cube motor

for 500 you probably could have bought a complete hot air motor

thanks for the reply

Actually its not really a small turbo for a v6 or 4 cyclinder motor.a lot of dsm cars and mustang use this turbo and they are making power levels between 300 to 500 horsepower with the holset turbo this is a single setup.I already have a hot air motor i dont see the point in buying another one.here is a a clip of a grand national with one of these turbos its a hx40 turbo by holset.due to the fact that this is a cummings diesel engine turbo it spool up alot quicker than a garrant turbo.this is a step bigger than the model turbo that i have which is a whc1 trubo.These turbo are known to hit 20 pounds of boost before 4000 rpm.this is on a 4 cyclinder.they can be ran 30 to 40 pounds of boost without coming apart.

All even fire heads have freeze plugs in the ends of the head. The odd fire don't. The low port heads were produced from mid 77 until late 78 and the high ports were 79 up. There's a huge difference between high and low port heads and you can't swap intakes except flr the KB #1 intake since it was designed so it would fit either and left enough meat in the ports so you could port match the to high ports heads for better flow.
wow well that really does suck for me then i will have to think of something else.

Got a KB #1 and a Wieand in my collection or you can go to the B4back section and there's a sticky on how to modify the 4.1 intake. Any of them could be used.;)

Back