Buick V6 rocker arm modification

Here's the other thread - http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/alternative-rocker-shaft-buttons-stock-style-setup.330636/

I did this myself and haven't looked back. O how I hated those stupid buttons.

I also did this to some TA Performance HD shafts because I was breaking more buttons than I could get in.
I found some nylon spacers at Lowes that were the right OD but had to run a drill through the ID to get them to slide over the cap screws .
Hillman Nylon Spacers 5/8 x 1/4 x 3/8 H# 880444

I also did this to some TA Performance HD shafts because I was breaking more buttons than I could get in.
I found some nylon spacers at Lowes that were the right OD but had to run a drill through the ID to get them to slide over the cap screws .
Hillman Nylon Spacers 5/8 x 1/4 x 3/8 H# 880444

The same on every point. Busting caps in the TA shaft, and the nylon spacers. The final straw was busting one on the road. I had enough of the buttons :mad:

Ive been doing a lot of things in parallel. Regarding this -- I think I will be using the stock nylon buttons - but drilled to accomodate a 5/16 nut.

Using a piece of scrap would to drill a hole and center the button. Then, redrilling the button.

1389559156210.jpg

Does a clean job.

1389559169797.jpg

After cleaning the button from remaining material, securing it to the shaft with the hex bolt. The button is very tight.

1389559181006.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
I have yet to replace the valve spring, so bear with me
The stock nylon button on the rocker arm are just push in or is it screw into the rocker arm?
Did you have to drill and tap the rocker arm in order to replace the stock nylon button with cap screws?

I have yet to replace the valve spring, so bear with me
The stock nylon button on the rocker arm are just push in or is it screw into the rocker arm?
Did you have to drill and tap the rocker arm in order to replace the stock nylon button with cap screws?

The stock nylon buttons are push in, and yes you have to drill and tap the shafts to use the cap screws.

Finally... 1/2 done. Hardened steel was giving me trouble until I bought HSS cobalt drill bit.

Gilles

Attachments

• 1393363919103.jpg
    1393363919103.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 184
Finally... 1/2 done. Hardened steel was giving me trouble until I bought HSS cobalt drill bit.

Gilles

Hate to ask a dump question, but why is the last rocker arm to the right is slightly lifted higher than the other ones?

All questions welcomed :)

Actually, the arms are pretty lose around the shaft - they set in place once the shaft is bolted on the head. Pretty much like the std shafts.

Last edited:
20180113_095934.jpg
20180113_094506.jpg
Installed the rocker arms on the engine, and tried something a bit different... replaced the plastic spacers and went for metallic lock-washer. Different bolt also. Lower profile.

Last edited: