Buicks at Bates 18th annual PICTURE THREAD

oooh found a pic of my car cruising to Bates yesterday

dsc00690tonemapped.png

how fast did you have to run.......

to get that picture?
great shot!!!!!!!

A few more.

I'd guess that this orange Cheby was worth at least half the cars at our show.:eek: I would have given Gary's left tooth to drive it.:D

It had factory aluminum block and heads, with over 500 HP.

Batesshow2010006.jpg

The guy said this was the original paint.
Batesshow2010007.jpg

Batesshow2010005.jpg

Batesshow2010004.jpg

Batesshow2010003.jpg

Batesshow2010002.jpg

Best of show. This paint job was one of the nicest I've ever seen.
Batesshow2010001.jpg

Batesshow2010008.jpg

Mike B.

I'd guess that this orange Cheby was worth at least half the cars at our show.:eek: I would have given Gary's left tooth to drive it.:D

It had factory aluminum block and heads, with over 500 HP..

only problem is that it wasnt real, they never made an SS with a 427 in it, but still that engine alone is alottttt of money. oh and nice pics

only problem is that it wasnt real, they never made an SS with a 427 in it, but still that engine alone is alottttt of money. oh and nice pics

True dat.

A real ZL1 is very plain jane looking.....even has dog dish hub caps.
http://superchevy.automotive.com/51644/sucs-0707-1969-chevrolet-camaro-zl1/index.html

That 69 in the pick is an SS/RS.
I'd like to see the engine too.

If it's an original ZL1 engine, that's be amazing.
GMPP did a limited release on new and improved ZL1 engines a few years back. They sold them over select dealership parts counters for about $20K if I recall correctly.http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/E...nniversary Edition 427&sku=19166392&engCat=bb

True dat.

The 1969 ZL1 Camaro Legacy | Super Chevy Magazine Article at Automotive.com

GMPP did a limited release on new and improved ZL1 engines a few years back. They sold them over select dealership parts counters for about $20K if I recall correctly.

Talked to the owner of the car last year, though it is obviously a clone, the block is an original ZL1. He went to a lot of trouble finding it, let alone the radiator that is in it that only came in COPO 427 cars.

Talked to the owner of the car last year, though it is obviously a clone, the block is an original ZL1. He went to a lot of trouble finding it, let alone the radiator that is in it that only came in COPO 427 cars.

Wow!
Just that engine and radiator are valued more than most of the Turbo Buicks combined at the show.
It's a beautiful Camaro.

Well.... Both Yenko, and Baldwin Motion and I believe Nicky drop 427's in to SS396 (before COPO's were avalible), reason for that is the 396 came from factory with heavy duty fan clutch, alt, and suspension they were even ordered with A/C which was removed reason was thats how you got the better radiator, fan clutch and alt. Baldwin Motion even drop a few 454's in to some of the phase III cars.

True dat.

The 1969 ZL1 Camaro Legacy | Super Chevy Magazine Article at Automotive.com

GMPP did a limited release on new and improved ZL1 engines a few years back. They sold them over select dealership parts counters for about $20K if I recall correctly.GM Performance Parts | Anniversary Edition 427 Overview

ZL1 engines are pretty rare although some were also used in racing out side of chevy forgot what class, and even worked there way into a few corvette from the factory, Don Yenko bought the foundery casting and started to build new Yenko alum. block most went into boats.

Yenko alum 427 block in a 69 Camaro
d7_4.jpg

Pic of Balwin Motion Phase III
d8_12.jpg

26_12.jpg

In this pic is a early Yenko that stated life as a 396, you can tell as only SS396 (if i remember correctly SS350 came with sail panel same color as car) came with the black sail panel seen on this Yenko.

37_4.jpg

this sticker was placed on the doors of ZL1
9f3a_1_b.jpg

I wanted a 69 Camaro from the time i was 15, and have spent 100's of hours doing research, before i bought mine. there is a lot to know about them, and if not well educated could end up with a bad clone and pay original $

I went to see a original z28 which i was told was all original on the phone, get there and its was far from a z28, it had drum front brakes, and auto trans and at some point had A/C, with a 10 bolt rear end.

All 69 z28 had to have front disk brakes, 12 bolt rear with only 373 or 410's, A/C and auto trany was not an option, and that just the the big stuff, then theres the little things like carb, carb link (also only on 396 w/375hp model) where the speedo cable is routed, brake proportioning valve, leaf springs, tachometer, shifter (also shared only with 396/375hp) and thats just off the top of my head.

In this pic is a early Yenko that stated life as a 396, you can tell as only SS396 (if i remember correctly SS350 came with sail panel same color as car) came with the black sail panel seen on this Yenko.

I wanted a 69 Camaro from the time i was 15, and have spent 100's of hours doing research, before i bought mine. there is a lot to know about them, and if not well educated could end up with a bad clone and pay original $

I went to see a original z28 which i was told was all original on the phone, get there and its was far from a z28, it had drum front brakes, and auto trans and at some point had A/C, with a 10 bolt rear end.

All 69 z28 had to have front disk brakes, 12 bolt rear with only 373 or 410's, A/C and auto trany was not an option, and that just the the big stuff, then theres the little things like carb, carb link (also only on 396 w/375hp model) where the speedo cable is routed, brake proportioning valve, leaf springs, tachometer, shifter (also shared only with 396/375hp) and thats just off the top of my head.

You are correct. Only the big block cars had the blacked out tails on them.

My 68 Camaro is the fourth first Gen I've owned....I've always had one. My third one was a 69.

In high school, a firend of mine who lived around the corner form me had a 69 RS Z/28.

Several years back when I was on my way to deliver my down payment for a house I was buying in Livermoore, as I drove through Livermore, I see this beautiful RS Z/28 parked out in front of a auto repair shop with FOPR SALE signs in the windows. I pulled over and proceeded to crawl all over that thing.
If it wasn't original, it was a perfect clone.....even had the chambered factory exhaust in tact.

Price tag...$25K
Cashiers check in my wallet conicidently was made out for $25K...

Tell you what...my lil Angel and my lil Mr Satan sprinted to the center from their respective shoulders and had a knock down drag out brawl in my skull right there in that parking lot....it was an ugly, brutal fight....

Lil Angel won...I bought the house instead....and saved my marraige....:rolleyes:

You are correct. Only the big block cars had the blacked out tails on them.

My 68 Camaro is the fourth first Gen I've owned....I've always had one. My third one was a 69.

In high school, a firend of mine who lived around the corner form me had a 69 RS Z/28.

Several years back when I was on my way to deliver my down payment for a house I was buying in Livermoore, as I drove through Livermore, I see this beautiful RS Z/28 parked out in front of a auto repair shop with FOPR SALE signs in the windows. I pulled over and proceeded to crawl all over that thing.
If it wasn't original, it was a perfect clone.....even had the chambered factory exhaust in tact.

Price tag...$25K
Cashiers check in my wallet conicidently was made out for $25K...

Tell you what...my lil Angel and my lil Mr Satan sprinted to the center from their respective shoulders and had a knock down drag out brawl in my skull right there in that parking lot....it was an ugly, brutal fight....

Lil Angel won...I bought the house instead....and saved my marraige....:rolleyes:

I think we have all been there, lucky for me when i came a cross my z28, my lil devil said you better get it, BTW my lil devil works for JADA toys and is the unofficial goto person when it comes to NASCAR and 60' muscel cars. In a building full of guys, when there is doubt they know who to ask