You can type here any text you want

Build versus Buy

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SpeedRacerX

My vision for where I'm taking the mods next on my GN includes maximizing bolt-on's, finding any limitations, buying and selling parts I should have bought in the first place, digging into heads & cam and possibly more if I'm going to dig into the motor and on and on. I also know (from this and prior experiences) that this is addicting.

I also keep seeing these complete, done, already built motors available here from time to time and it gets me thinking.

For the money I'm going to dump into the motor on my GN either at one shot or in 2 or 3 more phases, is it worth just yanking my motor, preserving it and dropping in something already done for "likely" the same or less money and time than if I build up my motor?

What do folks think about this?

Unless you can buy a fresh motor from a reputable person you would be better off to build. Then you know what you have.

More food for thought, if it’s not broke, don’t fix it. Do the bolt on’s. Don’t worry about the engine/short block until something goes wrong with it.

Unless you can buy a fresh motor from a reputable person you would be better off to build. Then you know what you have.

More food for thought, if it’s not broke, don’t fix it. Do the bolt on’s. Don’t worry about the engine/short block until something goes wrong with it.
I tend to agree. Would you feel the same about the Transmission? Original now, no issues, car runs 11.8s or better but we all know it's just a matter of time before it goes especially as I go bigger with the bolt-ons. Would you preemptively beef it while it's still good or wait till it breaks?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Its going to be the same work either build it now or later..I would continue to put money aside until either the engine or transmission breaks. Just like TurboBurick said. If it's not broke don't fix it. Putting money away until it actually breaks will still give you lots of options. So i would drive the hell out of it for now.

Its going to be the same work either build it now or later..I would continue to put money aside until either the engine or transmission breaks. Just like TurboBurick said. If it's not broke don't fix it. Putting money away until it actually breaks will still give you lots of options. So i would drive the hell out of it for now.
So I shouldn't worry too much about the stock converter (which I would change when I did the Trans work) being mismatched to a larger turbo for awhile?

Sometimes you can find a deal on used stuff & it can pay if you have an idea where it comes from. Case in point I have a stroker 109 short block that I will sell in the near future built by RPE. Very low hours on it, but I'm looking to upgrade to a better TA block build.

Read my sig for ET/MPH and build. It doesn't take much to run 7 flat all day long...and you don't need an aftermarket ECU for what you wanna do. Erics chip and Powerlogger is all that's required. Find yourself a competent engine builder and trans builder. Pull the hood up on my car is an instant cure for insomnia. :D

[QUOTE="SpeedRacerX, post: 3793538, member: 46020.................."I also keep seeing these complete, done, already built motors available here from time to time and it gets me thinking?................................/QUOTE]

We have various turbo engines and short blocks in stock, 3.8 and 4.1, some short blocks and some complete, as well as forged rotating assembles and stock builds.

Most of what we do is rebuild customer's engine, and an outright sale is subject to a core charge depending on what parts we furnish.

We have been building turbo V-6 engine since the 90's and I believe no other shop has exceeded our reliability or quantity of our number of engine builds now exceeding 800 units!

[QUOTE="SpeedRacerX, post: 3793538, member: 46020.................."I also keep seeing these complete, done, already built motors available here from time to time and it gets me thinking?................................/QUOTE]

We have various turbo engines and short blocks in stock, 3.8 and 4.1, some short blocks and some complete, as well as forged rotating assembles and stock builds.

Most of what we do is rebuild customer's engine, and an outright sale is subject to a core charge depending on what parts we furnish.

We have been building turbo V-6 engine since the 90's and I believe no other shop has exceeded our reliability or quantity of our number of engine builds now exceeding 800 units!
I’ll PM you about a 3.8 short block

This is good to know. Thank you Nick.

For the money I'm going to dump into the motor on my GN either at one shot or in 2 or 3 more phases, is it worth just yanking my motor, preserving it and dropping in something already done for "likely" the same or less money and time than if I build up my motor?

What do folks think about this?

If you're physically able to build your own engine, that's my vote. Anytime you build something with your own hands that comes out of your own mind, you own it. There's a lot to be said for having something that's actually yours, not just in the legal possession sense.

I can't imagine choosing to be a checkbook hotrodder if you have the choice to avoid it.

It definitely gives you a big feeling of achievement knowing you did it and you did it well.
I try to do as much as I can it’s part of the love that I have for cars and enjoyment I get from it.

Don’t know how to do something part of the fun in the journey is learning how.

If you're physically able to build your own engine, that's my vote. Anytime you build something with your own hands that comes out of your own mind, you own it. There's a lot to be said for having something that's actually yours, not just in the legal possession sense.

I can't imagine choosing to be a checkbook hotrodder if you have the choice to avoid it.
It definitely gives you a big feeling of achievement knowing you did it and you did it well.
I try to do as much as I can it’s part of the love that I have for cars and enjoyment I get from it.

Don’t know how to do something part of the fun in the journey is learning how.
I hear you guys. I did all of the bolt-on work to my LS-based G8 GT including some tuning and brought an 89 Formula back to life and the feeling of accomplishment was great but the GN was so foreign to me with the "6 cylinder turbo" haha. I do all of the non-motor stuff on my GN.

I've just never torn down or rebuilt a motor in my life although I would really like to accomplish this one day but... I would need guidance and oversight by a pro for the first time I think.

I did the motor on a 72 chevy c10. It's was my first time ever.
It took me a week just to figure out how to setup my timing gears. I finally found a performance shop that was very helpful along the way. I was buying parts from them so they were able to tell me how to set them up.

I was afraid.
if I set up those timing gears wrong and I went to start that engine and if it was off. that piston and was going to go slamming into the valves.
Takes lot of patience and double checking and double checking the first time.
But it's fun I enjoyed it

Here it is almost done. It's was completely taken apart and put back together by me :)

Some inspiration for anyone.
Anyone can do it just takes hard work be patient and willing to learn

What are your goals? Sounds like you have a healthy good running motor & having fun. I wouldn't pull it out & build it, you're saying 2 or 3 phases, It would probly take way too long any way you did it, (yourself or builder), lots of decisions, time & money, It would turn into a long term project by the time you figure trans, rear, & suspension upgrades. It would probly end up a roller in your garage for 5 years...FUNS OVER. & you wouldnt have your motor to drop back in to get back going again. Btw what town are you in? Pm me if you feel, I have goals similar to yours & we can share ideas if you like.

Back