You can type here any text you want

Bumper fillers to be painted

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bruce Urie

The Ventures,CCR forever!
Could I have some of your opinions, fellas? I have two original front bumper fillers, GM, ready to be painted. Problem is, the paint on my '87 GN is black, but with lots of very small metalflake in the paint, gives off a beautiful purple/red/silver sparkle at times when looked at from different angles. So, it's only obvious I'll have to have the fillers painted by a custom painter. My late Dad had the car repainted this way in 2001. It looks jet black in person, and in pictures, but with the right angle of light, it shows these colors. I really love the effect.:) And thanks to Mark Huffeman, great looking with Torque Thrust IIs.:smile:

I just don't know what a ballpark figure I'm looking to pay. Could you guys give me some idea of what it may cost? I got one quote from a guy recommended by someone on this forum a few months ago and this guy quoted me a straight figure of $250, plus two way shipping, and he could only paint them straight, stock GN black.

Any idea what this will set me back? I plan on getting the rear fillers replaced as soon as our own Richard Clark comes out with the new improved superior design.

I have a strong feeling this is going to be expensive. But, what the hell, aren't all TurboRegals and Grand Nationals expensive anyway? Right?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I value all of your opinions very highly. (as well as your help.)

Bruce '87 Grand National

I'm sure you mean metallic and not flakes..different story all together!..As long as you know the color code used(#,make,yr) or have the custom mix label, should be doable and fairly priced..if not, make the counter guy at paint store your best friend and have patience. A custom tint/mix takes time! and you will need a painted sample.

GC

If you don’t know the paint code I would take the car to a pint store and have them put there camera I guess it’s a camera that can tell you paint codes on the car and get the paint code from them. Then as around how much it will cost to have them painted and you can provide the paint. I painted my fillers myself but they were just plain black and I was happy with the way they came out. I had the paint store mix the paint for me and put it in a rattle can worked out grate I had some orange peel but it buffed out good and I have had guys at shows not believe me when I told them it was a rattle can paint job. It only cost me $54 to paint mine this way. Just remember this is the same paint you would be using if you were laying it on with a gun its thick so spray it on thin or it will run, But it dries quick so you will have it all done in the same day. Just remember to let them know this is for the fillers and that you need a flex agent in the paint.

If you don’t know the paint code I would take the car to a pint store and have them put there camera I guess it’s a camera that can tell you paint codes on the car and get the paint code from them. Then as around how much it will cost to have them painted and you can provide the paint. I painted my fillers myself but they were just plain black and I was happy with the way they came out. I had the paint store mix the paint for me and put it in a rattle can worked out grate I had some orange peel but it buffed out good and I have had guys at shows not believe me when I told them it was a rattle can paint job. It only cost me $54 to paint mine this way. Just remember this is the same paint you would be using if you were laying it on with a gun its thick so spray it on thin or it will run, But it dries quick so you will have it all done in the same day. Just remember to let them know this is for the fillers and that you need a flex agent in the paint.

I didn't know they could add flex agent to a rattle can mix. Cool.

Ya they will mix it any way you want. But just to let everyone know you really don’t need flex agent in paint if you’re not going to install them within a day or 2 of painting them after that it doesn’t matter anymore its only in the paint to keep it flex able for a short time for installation of body panels. Plus I’m no painter and they say with the base coat clear coat out now you don’t need it but I was going for the safer than sorry approach.

Back