You can type here any text you want

Bumpers hit fillers when jacked up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
When i jack my GN up the bumpers contact the fillers and over time have caused chip marks, what is the cause of this bad body bushings ?

You need to adjust the bumper. It has side to side and up and down adjustments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just a little proof of the flex that our vehicles have. Stiffen up where you can.

Either front or rear frame rails. Sometimes rear axel or front control arms.
You never pick these cars up by the frame extensions. Always pick them up just behind the front wheel or just in front of the rear wheel where the frame is boxed. Never pick them up along the open "U" frame channel between the front and rear. You will bend it. I see this all the time.

When i jack my GN up the bumpers contact the fillers and over time have caused chip marks, what is the cause of this bad body bushings ?
Yes. It's likely the body bushings are rotted or missing. Check both top and bottom. And install the ones that the factory left out.

Body bushings for sure. Here's a thread that shows just how little our cars flex with just polyurethane body bushings and no other bracing and this is on a T Top car!

Body bushings for sure. Here's a thread that shows just how little our cars flex with just polyurethane body bushings and no other bracing and this is on a T Top car!

Your link didn't make it into the post.

But on mine, with poly bushings and just the lateral brace in the front that ties the frame horns together, I can jack one corner of the car two feet in the air and open and close both doors without issue. Wind noise is almost gone because the windows seal. The car picks the front inside wheel 2-4" off the ground coming out of a corner hard.

Good bushings tie the frame to the floorpan and all the twist goes away.

Just worried about the cage nuts spinning, if it weren’t for that would be a piece of cake job.

Just worried about the cage nuts spinning, if it weren’t for that would be a piece of cake job.

Is the car rusty? If not, they'll be fine.

The thing is, the longer you drive with crappy body bushings, the more miserable you are and more likely they will rust. Once the rubber has cracked and shrunk, that's when the water starts getting in. The longer you wait, the worse it'll be.

Back