You can type here any text you want

Burn your own Chips?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

65malibuss

The latest information I could find by searching about chip burners was from mid 2002. What is the latest or best chip burner available if I want to burn my own chips? Same as what was available in 2002? Thanks.

Pretty much the same for hardware. The pocket programmer is about the cheapest way and uses the parallel port so it is easy to use with a laptop and to move from pc to pc. There are several choices in the $200-300 range that use a pci card, and lots of choices above that. For software there are the commercial packages turbo 6 tuner and tunercat, and the freeware packages promedit (dos based), winbin (windows based and apparently no longer in development), and tunerpro (originally gmecmedit, also windows based and currently being developed, with a commercial version also available). The freeware packages use a common definition file format, the .ecu file, to map out the data locations. Winbin comes with a few examples but they are not very complete and I think the 7148 one is not useable.

There are a few other 7148 .ecu files on the internet, including one I did that has most of the common tuning stuff but not quite all, which is available in the incoming directory at the www.diy-efi.org ftp site. And of course, the disassembly listing and a couple of spreadsheets with the data table locations available at the gnttype web site, along with the stock images you can use as a starting point. Most people seem to start with the acxa image which is the late 86/all of 87 chip, or the bbjk emissions recall image. The bbjk is a tad leaner which might improve mileage a bit and which helps emissions, and goes closed loop faster which helps cold start emissions, and has a few other tweaks, and is the one I start with. The 89 tta image has a lot of changes in the timing tables, presumably because of the fwd heads with their different combustion chambers, so I wouldn't recommend using that unless you have those heads.

Pocket Programmer and Tunercat is what I use. Once you get more advanced at programming things if you use TC is you'll want to get the file def editor which allows you to create other tables that are not already defined in TC for our cars, such as the AE tables and some of the MAF scalers. You can basically use TC in place of a hex editor for those things not defined in TC.
Also, I'd recommend getting a 8 or 16-position thumbwheel, that way you can put 8 or 16 different TR programs on one chip and flip between them easily without having to pop chips in and out.
You can easily put a valet, theft deterrent, street and race chips all on one chip. If getting an 8-pos tw, buy some 32k chips such as AT29C256..these chips are electronically erasable and you don't need a UV light then.... To do the 8-pos chip, just create your 8 unique programs for your car, then use DOS copy /b command to concatenate then together into a single 32k file, then burn that file onto the AT29C256 chip with the Pocket Programmer II...the PPII can program a ton of different chips....a 64k chip could be used for the 16-pos tw, but I don't know the chip#. You can get the AT29C256 from www.jdr.com for about $5 ea.

Back