You can type here any text you want

Burned circuits on Casper adapter module

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

N2BUICK

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Looking for reasons why the oil sensor logging has never worked. I took the Casper 108135 box apart and found
several over heated and burnt out circuits on board. Several seem ground related?
A-12, B-3 on "car" side of box, A-10 on Casper side of box. Real confusing to explain.
Need an autopsy? Do you send Fast box and Casper box back to Casper, Cal, or FAST? Send them individual ?
Car starts and runs okay. Just got over a MAP sensor that that died out of the blue.
100_1074.JPG
100_1074.JPG

Attachments

• 100_1075.JPG
    100_1075.JPG
    594.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 100_1076.JPG
    100_1076.JPG
    564.4 KB · Views: 189
I am sure Casper can fix it, but I really want to know what caused it.

A12 on the xfi is one of the main power returns. If the ground isnt sufficient power will ground through whatever is available.

I would take the ground lead coming from the adapter box and run it straight to the battery.

When installing the FAST system I ran #10 stranded directly to the battery.
Thanks for the responses

UPDATE: I looked at the burned module traces and repaired them. It appears there was a short from positive 12v to the VSS signal that runs thru the box, causing multiple ground paths to burn off. The ground return to the CCCI also took a hit, but since that trace is wider than the others, it didn't open.

Short under the dash caused the problem as far as I can see. FIX: Find the small 3-way VSS buffer connector and look for the short. Then, re-install the adapter box. Should be good to go.

John Spina is the man! Finally got the part back on the car and all seems well. I removed the VSS totally did not just unplug it. I took it apart and it did not look burnt or shorted?
A little more to the story. My dedicated ground from the Casper module goes my battery "top" terminal. The rest of the car grounds go through the "side" terminal.
It may have been that I could have put the side terminal back on the battery and forgot the top terminal. This would have been trying to start and run the car with no ground to the Caspers
module? May have "stressed" that circuit board.? I know this is a bad set up having two separate grounds to the battery.
Thanks to Caspers, again for the repair of my smoked module!
N2BUICK

Back