You can type here any text you want

Burning & Programming

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dean

Foreword: I know absolutely nothing about chip burning or programming, but would like to start.

My primary need is a burner so I can make smog chips for some of the local folks. From what I gather, I will need a programmer and a UV eraser (DataRase II EPROM eraser?). I have read of several folks on here having difficulties burning 2732A eproms with certain programmers. So then what? In another thread, 2QUIK6 mentioned using AT29C256. Is this a direct replacement to the 2732A that doesn't need a UV eraser?

Later, as time permits, I may start fiddling with programming, though not to make the perfect chip... just to learn a little something about the simpler aspects of programming.

I've looked up Pocket Programmer, but it doesn't list 2732A (though it does list 2732... different?). jdr.com has an EP1. Many others, more expensive.

TIA!

Originally posted by Dean
In another thread, 2QUIK6 mentioned using AT29C256. Is this a direct replacement to the 2732A that doesn't need a UV eraser?

Never mind. Found a thread that says eeproms are not available for our 7148s. So what is the AT29C256?

From what I gather, I will need a programmer and a UV eraser (DataRase II EPROM eraser?).

Found other threads on this. For simplicity the Pocket Programmer/Tunercat seems popular, as does the bmcomputersource.com Turbo Six Tuner package (which utilizes a Pocket Programmer).

Going the Tunercat route I would need:
- Pocket Programmer: ~$150
- Tunercat software: ~ $70
- GN definition file: ~$20
- UV Eraser: ~$60
TOTAL ~$300

vs.

The Turbo Six Tuner package which includes the following for the same, ~$300:
- Pocket Programmer
- Turbo Six Tuner (I presume there is no need for a separate GN definition file)
- UV Eraser
- 3 Blank 2732a eproms

With the T6Tuner package, at least I'm assured it works with 2732a eproms. Any limitations, though? What about the AT29C256 2QUIK6 mentioned using?

Dean

Yes, that AT29C256 is a 32k thumbwheel chip. It holds 8 of the normal 4k chips all on one chip. The 2732A is a 4k chip, and the PPII will burn those as well.
I recommend if you are going to burn your own, get a thumbwheel, either 8-position or 16-position...not sure which chip goes in the 16-position, but it will be a 64k chip.

The AT29C256 is electronically erasable, so no need for a UV light, the chips cost about $4 from JDRMicrodevices www.jdr.com
I recommend the thumbwheel because you can do 8 chips at once..and believe me, once you start tweaking things here and there, you'll get real tired of pulling a chip out of the ECM and the holder over and over....once you figure out your perfect street chip...then you can make a race chip, and a valet chip, and a security chip, etc....and have them all in the thumbwheel.

When I go to the track, I like to make say 5 or 6 thumbwheel chips, each with a little bit different WOT fueling, and on each chip but different timing, say 20-28 degrees in increments of 1 degree in each position...once I find my right fuel mixture, its just a push of the thumbwheel to advance the timing.

But there's also much easier ways to do this too, using a Trans+ and Extender (I never hooked up my Trans+ for the spark advance, was not real keen on the idea of hacking that wire up, and I had heard of folks having problems with it)
Or get one of Erics adjustable timing and fueling chips...you can make all of these adjustments without removing the chip.

I just like screwing with things so I still do it myself :)

Not to mention the TC and PPII setup worked with my original truck TBI motor, then the TPI motor I had in it, and now the LT4 and my wifes LT1, and my TTA....so it was real cost effective to learn to do it myself.

Originally posted by 2QUIK6

<snip>

But there's also much easier ways to do this too, using a Trans+ and Extender (I never hooked up my Trans+ for the spark advance, was not real keen on the idea of hacking that wire up, and I had heard of folks having problems with it)

<snip>

There's a plug-n-play adapter available so you don't have to cut that wire you refer to. Makes life much simpler!! ONce you use the Translator + to it's fullest potential, you'll never look back!

Originally posted by TurboDave
There's a plug-n-play adapter available so you don't have to cut that wire you refer to. Makes life much simpler!! ONce you use the Translator + to it's fullest potential, you'll never look back!
Cool, thanks Dave, didn't know that. Figures, right at the time when I figure out variable timing in the chip :)

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

Again, for the moment, I have no plan to try to make my own "perfect" chip... just make smog chips for local club members and start learning a little something. I do run a T+ and Extender, and am extremely happy with the chips chips I buy that are produced by Mr. Bailey.

Dean

Don't know if this will work for your application or not, but there is an adapter to use the larger EEPROM instead of the 2732A at www.moates.net.

I use his stuff to tune my Corvette but have not done anything on my GN yet, may never since I don't race it and rarely even drive it anymore.

Just FYI.

Back