Buying a GN

oehm

What kind of condition could I expect an 86-87 GN in the $10K range to be in. Rust free? Moderate mileage(80k), interior? Mods?

Just kind of getting a feel for what I can afford right now.
Would I be better off saving 3 or 4 thousand more?
I want this car for a weekend cruiser, but also to perform strong at the track.

Any input would be appreciated!

buyers market right now..If ya do a little shopping you should be able to get a rust free, nice condition stocker , 60-80k miles for that kind of money....

I would agree with Scott, do your best to hold out for a stocker (or mildly mod'd). Too many stories of guys buying someone elses butchered mess.

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
buyers market right now..If ya do a little shopping you should be able to get a rust free, nice condition stocker , 60-80k miles for that kind of money....
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

A clean stocker with 70k miles for 10g's?? Where?

WHERE? HERE'S ONE SOURCE...

www.autotrader.com

There are over 150 ('86 & '87) GNs usually for sale at any given time on AutoTrader nation-wide.

There are 162 tonight, if you count the GNXs.

HTH :)

Originally posted by TRBON8R
Here's one:

GN for sale

Here's two:

GN for sale

Here's three:

GN for sale

:) :) They are out there. I found these 3 and it only took me 10 minutes.

GN #1 - Over $10,000 & no photo
GN #2 - 86 and not an 87 (more valuable), no mention of all original, over $10,000
GN #3 - Over 80,000 miles

Sorry, but in 10 minutes you found ZERO. :)

Originally posted by TT/A1233
GN #1 - Over $10,000 & no photo
GN #2 - 86 and not an 87 (more valuable), no mention of all original, over $10,000
GN #3 - Over 80,000 miles

Sorry, but in 10 minutes you found ZERO. :)

Guess you never heard of negotiating? Or do you just pay the asking price every time you buy a car? Not to mention the 3rd car is over the mentioned 80k mile mark by a whopping 1,000 miles. :rolleyes:

I didn't know you could negotiate the mileage down or the year of a car from 1986 to a 1987. ;)

I didn't know you could negotiate the mileage down or the year of a car from 1986 to a 1987. ;)

Is it possible you are a little bit sensitive on this subject because your 799 mile car is worth barely more than what it cost new 15 years ago? :)

The point is it took me only 10 minutes to find 3 cars that were very close to what GNSCOTT said can be bought for 10k. Enjoy and have a nice evening. :)

Wow, talk about changing the subject. What's that all about? How did I get personally dragged into this?

To indulge your twisting of the topic here goes. You may not pay what it's worth but if you must know, when it was Autorama I was asked no less than 20 times if I wanted to sell it. One gentleman who's the current CEO of GM's performance and research division asked if I wanted to sell. For ****s and giggles I said "I wouldn't think of anything less than $30,000". Without batting an eye said "ok, what are you thinking". I turned him down, he presented his GM business card and said "give me a call if you change your mind, these cars have sentimental value to me since my dad was in charge of the Grand National program".

I'll speculate but apparently you've never seen a completely original, brand new 16 yr old GN in person. Nor are you a vehicle appraiser.

I'm out since unfortunately this has digressed into taking shots at my car and it's collector value. :rolleyes: Shameful....

I'll speculate but apparently you've never seen a completely original, brand new 16 yr old GN in person. Nor are you a vehicle appraiser.

No, I am not a vehicle appraiser nor are you most likely, and even if you were it wouldn't prove a whole lot. :) I've been involved with TRs for 10 years now and have seen plenty of cars in the 60-80k mile range that can be bought for 10k. Hell I only paid 11,000 for my car and that was with only 38k miles. Surely a higher mileage car could have been bought cheaper.

Yes I have seen more than one GN with mileage less than 2k miles. Neither one fetched anywhere near 30k.

Look we can go around and around on this all night. By mentioning your car which I'm sure is beautiful, I was only trying to illustrate that you are looking at things from a seller or collector's point of view, which I've found often does not reflect reality or current economic conditions. In retrospect my point might have been made with a bit more subtlety. :) The bottom line is there are lots of 60-80k mile TRs out there for sale for 10k. If you want to continue this further, please email me as I have no desire to get into a pissing match here. Good luck to you, and I sincerely hope you do find a buyer that will pay what you want if you decide to sell your car.

Lol Dean. Stir the pot and then run for cover. ;) Ben's right in any case. A clean stocker with 70K miles for $10K USD is a no-brainer if you have a little patience and a willingness to travel. Bottom line is GNs are cheap...second only to TTAs. :(

Also, I am not sure where you are getting that '86s are less valuable than '87s. That's news to me. Personally I'd take an '86 over an '87 any day. I just like the grill better. :D

we got ours all stock with 23K on the clock, always garaged and adult driven for $13K.

To answer your original question, IMO, I would buy as much car as you can afford.....I think it's better to cut your teeth on something nicer that is likely to give you less problems, and then as you increase your knowledge and capability with these cars, start delving into the mods....

I also agree with not buying someone else's mess....just my 2 cents.

AAAHHHH, the ongoing dispute on what these cars are worth!

I got to agree with TRBON8R on this one. Yes these cars are everywhere and yes, you can find a stocker under 100K miles for that kind of money. Patience and some good old fashioned used car buying tatics will get you a nice car for that kind of money. I've said it before and I'll say it again, just because people pay WAY to much for these cars does not make them worth it. Right Doug????!!!!:)

Re: AAAHHHH, the ongoing dispute on what these cars are worth!

Originally posted by Drew L
I've said it before and I'll say it again, just because people pay WAY to much for these cars does not make them worth it. Right Doug????!!!!:)

No.....;)

now Doug,

You've never disagreed with me before:D . I love this type of discussion because there is such a contrast as to what folks are thinking. Pricing surely does run all over the place that's for sure. I also agree with spending the extra bucks in the beginning as it takes at least double to "do it yourself" to get where it should be in the first place.. Drew