Buying my 1st grand national

I just like to see the car I'm about to purchase in person before I pull the trigger on it. Have a body shop and mechanic shop inspect it etc. I've been waiting 4 years to purchase 1 and now that I have the funds I'm really on the hunt now

I know the feeling...I live far west burbs of Chicago...the last car I bought before my T was a 72 Nova that I flew to Corona, CA to buy because the deal was right. I agree that I wouldn't buy a car sight unseen, but I would be willing (and have in the past) to travel for the right car for me.

Canada. I know the car you're talking about, had the price down to $22.5k or $23.5k, if I recall. Absolute steal for what it was, the undercarriage looked like it came out of a powercoating booth the day he took the pics. Maybe the cleanest one I've seen yet. OP has stated that he wants a GN, and I can respect that. However, if I could do it all over again, I would've opened my options some, and maybe I could've ended up with a creampuff like that Limited.

Yes! That car looks like it's been seal in saran wrap and lives in a HEPA filtered garage. It's gorgeous. As much as I prefer the bucket/console car that is the car that if I had the money I would be all over. I can't believe it hasn't sold or maybe it has.

Yes! That car looks like it's been seal in saran wrap and lives in a HEPA filtered garage. It's gorgeous. As much as I prefer the bucket/console car that is the car that if I had the money I would be all over. I can't believe it hasn't sold or maybe it has.

I'd say the one thing holding it up, is that it's from another country. Maybe that's a pain? I'm not sure. But, yes.... high optioned car with tasteful mods. True sleeper, the owner did a terrific job of keeping it nearly stock looking and still giving it some "go-fast" goodies. Last I knew, it had not sold.

OP: I'll find the link and you can at least see the car we're talking about. It's not a GN, it's a 1986 T-Type. But, it is truly a beauty, and priced much lower than it should be. Though it probably isn't even something you'd consider, at least you'll have the opportunity to see it. It's probably the cleanest car I've seen on here... ever.

I'd say the one thing holding it up, is that it's from another country. Maybe that's a pain? I'm not sure. But, yes.... high optioned car with tasteful mods. True sleeper, the owner did a terrific job of keeping it nearly stock looking and still giving it some "go-fast" goodies. Last I knew, it had not sold.

OP: I'll find the link and you can at least see the car we're talking about. It's not a GN, it's a 1986 T-Type. But, it is truly a beauty, and priced much lower than it should be. Though it probably isn't even something you'd consider, at least you'll have the opportunity to see it. It's probably the cleanest car I've seen on here... ever.
That car is super nice. I'll be willing to buy that car asap but I dont know anything about buying a car from a different country. Is it a pain? How would a title look from Canada? Can it be stolen? A lot of questions but I really really like that car

I know the feeling...I live far west burbs of Chicago...the last car I bought before my T was a 72 Nova that I flew to Corona, CA to buy because the deal was right. I agree that I wouldn't buy a car sight unseen, but I would be willing (and have in the past) to travel for the right car for me.
Yea but at the moment I'm not able to travel far just locally like 2 to 3 hours out which limits my reach but I do really really like that car that's located in Canada

That car is super nice. I'll be willing to buy that car asap but I dont know anything about buying a car from a different country. Is it a pain? How would a title look from Canada? Can it be stolen? A lot of questions but I really really like that car
They don't Title cars in Canada like we do in the U.S. Importing a car from Canada involves a little more paperwork depending what State you're in but it should not be a deal breaker if you really like the car.

They don't Title cars in Canada like we do in the U.S. Importing a car from Canada involves a little more paperwork depending what State you're in but it should not be a deal breaker if you really like the car.
I'm in California so I dont know the process. Is it a headache?

It probably would be a headache to you, because of your limited knowledge about these car. If you can just be patient ,and the right car will come your way.

In one post above PhoneGuy kinda reached out to Mike @ Spoolfool to help you. Mike' is a great person and he reside in SO California ,So maybe he will chime in on this thread to help you.

But the main thing is to be patient and very cautious in your search for your GN.

It should not be much of pain for you since you live on the Mainland. It was, however, a bit of a pain for me only because I live on a tiny island in the middle of the Pacific. Finding 1 company that would handle everything needed to get it across the border AND ocean was much more difficult than one would think. I spent weeks calling over a dozen companies looking for one that could help me. I don't expect you would have the same problems I had.

It probably would be a headache to you, because of your limited knowledge about these car. If you can just be patient ,and the right car will come your way.

In one post above PhoneGuy kinda reached out to Mike @ Spoolfool to help you. Mike' is a great person and he reside in SO California ,So maybe he will chime in on this thread to help you.

But the main thing is to be patient and very cautious in your search for your GN.
I saw that 85 today and it's a no go on that. It was in a few accidents and it was a t type not a grand national but I talked to the guy in Canada and he still has a beautiful t type that I'm considering in buying

I talked to the guy in Canada and he still has the car. What would I have to do to bring it to the U.S?

He's from NY but lives in NC , he is a very good friend and known by many including the owner of this board ...very stand up person.

Bryan
I am as picky as they come and have owned 8 LC2's all under 20k origional miles. I would buy a 75K mile car from Ron sight unseen. Much rather buy from a long term TB lover, and expert, versus throwing darts at a Hot Air Car, especially a $16,000 85 ...

I talked to the guy in Canada and he still has the car. What would I have to do to bring it to the U.S?
Meeting the buyer on this side of the border is the simplest but not always practicable. If you hire a GOOD Transporter to pick-up the car in Canada and bring it over the border for you, they will gather the necessary paperwork for you. There are Customs documents that you and the current owner will have to fill out including a Foreign Shippers Declaration, EPA Declaration Form, etc. It's been several years since I did it so I can't remember all that was involved but as mentioned the Transporter will know what documents are needed in order to cross the border and all you have to do is sign the Forms. There will be a 1% border fee of the total purchase price as well as a Customs Brokerage fee. Depending on the cost of the car these fees could add up to a couple hundred bucks or so.

I would check with your local DMV to see what documents they need in order to register the car in your State. To give you an idea this is what I needed in order to register my car once it was in my possession:

1. Copy of the Canada Registration (Canada's equivalent of a Title)
2. Bill of Sale
3. Copy of 'Personal Property Registry Search Results Report' to prove there are no liens recorded on the vehicle. There might have been a small fee for this as well but I can't remember...
4. Proof of Insurance

Hope this gives you some idea of what's involved. My last bit of worthless advice should you choose to hire a Transporter is, do your research and hire a good one. There are a lot of shady ones out there. Like anything else, price may vary widely and unless you got a horseshoe up your a$$ you may be greatly disappointed by going with the lowest bidder.

Meeting the buyer on this side of the border is the simplest but not always practicable. If you hire a GOOD Transporter to pick-up the car in Canada and bring it over the border for you, they will gather the necessary paperwork for you. There are Customs documents that you and the current owner will have to fill out including a Foreign Shippers Declaration, EPA Declaration Form, etc. It's been several years since I did it so I can't remember all that was involved but as mentioned the Transporter will know what documents are needed in order to cross the border and all you have to do is sign the Forms. There will be a 1% border fee of the total purchase price as well as a Customs Brokerage fee. Depending on the cost of the car these fees could add up to a couple hundred bucks or so.

I would check with your local DMV to see what documents they need in order to register the car in your State. To give you an idea this is what I needed in order to register my car once it was in my possession:

1. Copy of the Canada Registration (Canada's equivalent of a Title)
2. Bill of Sale
3. Copy of 'Personal Property Registry Search Results Report' to prove there are no liens recorded on the vehicle. There might have been a small fee for this as well but I can't remember...
4. Proof of Insurance

Hope this gives you some idea of what's involved. My last bit of worthless advice should you choose to hire a Transporter is, do your research and hire a good one. There are a lot of shady ones out there. Like anything else, price may vary widely and unless you got a horseshoe up your a$$ you may be greatly disappointed by going with the lowest bidder.
Who do you recommend?

You could post in the "Cars Wanted" section and state you are looking in Cali. You could also contact Rafael Vazquez. He is a member on the board and has had some nice cars and should still have a couple or would know who does. He lives in Cali.