BWD issues..

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Went to Advance, ordered a module. Got a used 1..:(
The clerk ordered another. Went back, got it, and installed it w/ a new coil pak...No spark w/ the Casper tester. Put old coil on... same thing. Now, I'm getting steamed. 100mi driving, and get junk parts.
Clerk orders 2 modules. I take all the other items, and my tester. Same crap. Now, I've tested 3 of their $100 BWD modules, w/ the new and used coil paks. NONE are working. The old module showed weak spark . Not working @ idle. Did the wire swap test. Same thing, different coil pair. no good. Thus the new module.
WTF??. Then, the clerk says " these are all remans, and we have lots of problems w/ reman electronic stuff".
NP, refund my $$.
Back to square 1. A module from Hiway is near double the $$. I hope they are new, as that's the next stop.
Short of spending $200, anyone have a "work around"??

Sorry to hear your problems, but remember, you get what you pay for.

those az modules dont always test with the caspers tester
but even when they dont test they still seem to work when installed on the car
i think they require a ground to the module case to function where the Originals did not ..

the work around ..get the TR-6 or give the type11 with the seperate coils a try

I have been using the autozone module for a lot of years now without any problems at all,that and the Bosch plug wires are the only ignition parts i use from them. I did have them replace one for me but that was due to having a coil pack go bad. I like to keep both the module and coil pack matched new as a set, so if either one fails i replace both. The lifetime warranty on both makes it cost effective for me. I use the BWD coil pack from O'Reilly auto parts.

I have a lot of the BWD brand parts and never had a problem i buy them at O'Reilly auto parts if that makes a difference. I've never used a BWD module though.

Last edited:
i have had a module from autozone for 9-10 years, died on me once and they replaced it, no issues so far....

Type II ignition Chuck. If you shop you can get all ac delco stuff for around $200.

Thanks, Rick..
I already have the coil, {BWD], and a new Delco module...Works like a charm! Right now, that spark will mess w/ your pacemaker! DAMN!!:eek:
BTW, I read of someone mentioning a "hot wire" for the ign. You have any details?

I had no problems with the Highway stars at all. I sold it as a spare because the stock 1987 unit is still working well. I cant stand the coils on the valve cover, so Im reluctant to buy a Tr6.

I had no problems with the Highway stars at all. I sold it as a spare because the stock 1987 unit is still working well. I cant stand the coils on the valve cover, so Im reluctant to buy a Tr6.
The basic tr6 has the coil pack on top of the module just like the stocker.

correct the tr6 can do CNP but many are using it like the stocker
http://www.bailey-eng.com/tr6/
I run the tr6 with the new waste spark coil in stock location but with extensions (from caspers # 102094 TR-6 ) so the box is remote
on my 86 its on the fender , on the ttop its where the radio was

Attachments

• 0619141844.jpg
    0619141844.jpg
    747.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 0331151757a.jpg
    0331151757a.jpg
    747.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
The Casper's extension wire allows the coil pack and module to be mounted in separate locations. There was a thread recently on how one member mounted the box on the ds fender and the coil was on the stock coil bracket.