You can type here any text you want

CA smog for TTA... where and how much $$

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fasTTA707

are there any other ca TTA owners in here and if so, where and how do u smog your car? i bought mine from FL and it has an egr valve on it, not hooked up to anything, and thats the closest thing to emissions control on it. so far no luck with a smog shop... i kno you guys with modded TTA's dont have emissions control on them so if there's anybody who can point me in the right direction i'd appreciate it. thanks.

Shops aren't keen to cheat around here as the BAR sends undercover reps to do exactly that. They'll either come in with a car with stuff disabled and see if the shop finds it, or they'll outright try to bribe the guys. If they fail on either count, their livelihoods are on the line, and there is fines and jail time involved.

That being said, going rate for a "smog" around here is about $500. Keep in mind you may randomly be selected to go to a state controlled station, in which case NO amount of money will buy you a pass.

My suggestion is to amass all the equipment you need to put the crap back on the car, and just put the parts back on every two years.

Also keep in mind that if you run a test pipe, and are pulled over and it is found they can impound your car on the spot for emissions tampering. Put a gutted cat on it so it looks like it's legal, at that point if they have a mobile sniffer and you fail they can only give you a fix it ticket for being a polluter. If they find disabled/tampered with emissions equipment, it's the officer's decision whether or not to impound your vehicle.

Troy

Troy is right. The only way is to place it back to stock and smog it. I also have fresh oil and use a Trasher Emissions chip. They have dropped the HC and CO numbers from what they were back in 1989 making it harder to pass every time you go in.

If you want to make mods try to keep them from being too obvious.

- Dave

If you need an emmissions chip or components, contact me off list. I'll see what I can do to help.

I know that car personally. You have some work to do. to get it to pass. And may/will require someone with expertise in diagnostics to make it happen.

They sell high flow cats now. It may be to your interest to get one of those on the car.

hey razor thats cool that you know the car. can anybody tell me where i can get the emissions equipment and about how much its gonna cost? i had a high flow cat installed day before yesterday... i dont think i have ANY of the stuff in the emissions diagram...what is still there is definately not hooked up its just sitting there. i could really use any help i can get... thanks alot for the replies.

I dont know what exactly is missing. Its been like 5 months since i've seen that car. The cheapest source is a junkyard, since emmissions stuff was kinda generic on all GM cars. But it helps to know what to look for.

make a list of components and start gathering the missing, get the hoses, check valves, and such. Its really not a lot. Charcoal cannister, egr solenoid, two check valves, PCV, Cat, egr valve, and hoses.

The Buick and TTA are pretty much the same.

I'm suprised it doesnt throw a code if the egr solenoid isnt there.

i'm a little slow... :rolleyes: the egr solenoid IS THERE but thats about it. at least thats one less part i'll need. glad to hear the smog stuff is pretty generic, i can imagine hunting junk yards for a car they only made like 1500 of lol. thanks again for the help everybody, any more advice or info will be appreciated so keep it comin....take care

Another thing to remember is that the inspectors are like Bass, if it is shiny they will strike. Make sure the engine isn't too clean and there aren't any clean parts that attract attention and they won't look as hard.

Considering that these cars only have limited emmisions equiptment it shouldn't be too tough to get it all back to stock. The EGR is really the only thing that effects the emmisions much and really doesn't hurt performance.

Well i have to go take my cat back off since I already passed emmisions:D

thanks again everybody... car passed two weeks ago with flying colors.... sweet, time for registration and custom plates once i figure out what i want... take care

Back