Caddy braced g-body?

Dom87SS

i had some time a while back. and while searching through numerous junk yards, searching for g-body bracing. i came across a 80's cadillac. i decided to buy all the under hood braces (6) and see if any would work on the monte. so i sat for a good couple hours postioning, and thinking, jotting notes and what not. i finally came up with a idea. it seemed, and was fairly simple. i painted them a while back, and stored them for a while. well i took them out, and did all the final fits, and here is what i got...

overall shot
fbb7c395.jpg

close pass side
fbb7c38e.jpg

close driver side
fbb7c383.jpg

close top/middle
fbb7c37d.jpg

shows driver height fitment
fbb7c377.jpg

shows pass height fitment
fbb7c372.jpg

yes i am aware there is a broom stick holding my hood up before anyone asks. now by the pics can anyone think of any disadvantages (besides not being able to remove the air cleaner in 5 seconds) i dont see any yet. but time will tell. o ya, i took the braces off, all 4 pictured. and drove the car a bit. i put them back on, and all i have to say is wow. it handles like crazy. no body at all. the tires feel like they are folding under when i turn sharp, cause the body is hardly moving, so the tires are talking the force, which is what i wanted. once i get a GP brace, and more back seat bracing, it should be pretty d### tight. well after i get rid of my 70 sidewall tires, and lower it also.

Very Interesting bracing method.....It looks good...but one concern is the stud that holds the filter onto the carb.

Perhaps you are at a stop light and go WOT....wouldn't that require the engine to 'torque' to one side, and thus put pressure on the air cleaner stud? Granted this is "what if" but having a large motor "bolted" to bracing through such a small stud could cause an issue in the long run!

Looks like a great set up, however im not sure if bolting a 'moving object' to the fender wells is such a good idea.

looks good ,but I would have to agree with TurboRegal. that doesnt seem like a sturdy setup. you could try and see If you can somehow run that bar over the aircleaner to the top of each shock, almost like what you see on some F-bodys

i started to think that also. i am going to tryo to rebend them to go under the air cleaner, and use t bolts ot lock them together just tying the fenders together. i dont want to bend that thing all up, cuae then i might have to cut them off. but thanks for the conformation, that im not the only one thinkin this.

ok i worked with it yesterday. i took it all apart, and used the inside fender as my base point. i then angled the bar toward the front of the car (about a half in in front of the air cleaner), and mentally estimaed what the angle was. so i made the mounting tabs un-parallel to the bar, making it sit forward, while still being flush with the fender. i did this for both sides. and it worked just as good as mounting it on the air cleaner lid. except i had to use a nut/bolt combo to attach in the middle. so it isnt as strong as before. but is still noticably different in driving. so i am gonna tack weld the nut on. take the bolt out, and weld 2 small steel plates in the middle to get rid of the upward/downward flex that now occurs. after that. i will tack it top the fender cor bars, then fully weld everything, strip it down, and repaint the whole thing. it should turn out nice. and only 4 bolts will hold it in place.un fourtinatly my batteries in the digital camera died yesterday, so i have to get more to get some pics up here. but as soon as i can, i will do so.