california smog and carbed turbo's

steelerfan

Do the before black turbo's have issue with Cal Smog? I'm looking at buying car out of state and SMOG has me concerned.

SMOG!

ok i have changed the EGR valve, crank case filter. oil , oil filter; sparke plugs. air filter. cleaned carb. got it ajusted...and about 3 test and 200 dollars later...i still cant pass it!!!!!my engine only has 60,000 miles on it too!!!! damn the state of california!!! damn it to bloody hell!!! telling me i cant drive my turbo monte!!! now its just sitting in front of my house collecting dust cuz i cant smog!!!!!!!! it runs like a champ too!!!!!

Anyone else on the board have similar experiences. I really like tis car, but will this car be a smog nitemare? I know some cars can really be a pain at the station.
Is Turbomontecarlo story typical or the norm.

My 83 passed Washington state smog without a cat..... I know some one here in Ga that has had problems passing, but he had a cloged cat, bad TPS...he should be good now.
Jim

Originally posted by steelerfan
Do the before black turbo's have issue with Cal Smog? I'm looking at buying car out of state and SMOG has me concerned.

What state are you planning on purchasing this car from and what part of CA do you live in? Maybe the state that the car is coming from has a smog check program that can partially replicate the CA test. The main issue for you is if the car does not pass, it is NOT subject to a cost limit, so you'll be stuck in limbo until it does pass.

Re: SMOG!

Originally posted by turbomontecarlo
ok i have changed the EGR valve, crank case filter. oil , oil filter; sparke plugs. air filter. cleaned carb. got it ajusted...and about 3 test and 200 dollars later...i still cant pass it!!!!!my engine only has 60,000 miles on it too!!!! damn the state of california!!! damn it to bloody hell!!! telling me i cant drive my turbo monte!!! now its just sitting in front of my house collecting dust cuz i cant smog!!!!!!!! it runs like a champ too!!!!!

Like Buicksandrail ask, have you seen a referee? No smog check station should be doing any emission systems repairs or test on a vehicle with an engine change until it is initially inspected by a referee. If you want some questions answered, send a private message, email me at joseph_cheung@dca.ca.gov, or call 916-255-4217. I used to be technical manager for the Referee contractor. Please do not call to berate me about the Smog check program. But I will do my best to help you resolve questions.

Re: ?

Originally posted by turbomontecarlo
when the heck is a smog referee? and y would i need one if my car is stock turbo?

A referee test all the problem cars (Ex. cars with engine changes, gray market, special construction, issues waivers to those car which the money on emissions repairs have been spent above the cost limit by a smog check station and the vehicle still does not pass). Since your car is stock, maybe a referee isn't required to assist you yet. I have some questions (you should probably email additional questions and answers. Do you own the vehicle and is the smog check required as part of the registration renewal process? Or have you not recieved the title in your name yet? Is this car required to go to test only? Finally, what are the emissions readings on your car? What county do you live in, so I can look at simular type cars and emissions results?

yeah i own the car but the dmv wont give me the pink slip till i pass the smog so since octtober of last year its been on those pink permit things. so yeah its a test only car ...it doesnt seem to pass the CO 2 test part somthing about passing to much gas...and i changed the oxygen sensor........so u say there is a way i can wave this whole process.....o and i live in Orange county california.....home of beautiful women and palm trees

oc

i live in orange county....westminster.........but i can also be found in santa ana, costa mesa, huntington beach, FV ,stanton, newport....but again i live in wesminster right by westminster high