You can type here any text you want

Calpack chip Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Is the calpack chip a programmable chip like the main chip ?

No. It's really nothing more than a network of resistors that provide default values, when limphome is enabled.

Just to add to this, I always thought it would be nice to have the different calpacks available for different injector sizes. I know that I f I have a glitch that throws the ECM into limp home mode with 72lb injectors I'm not going to get very far.

No. It's really nothing more than a network of resistors that provide default values, when limphome is enabled.

Do you know of any info around on the configuration/values of the resistors

Just to add to this, I always thought it would be nice to have the different calpacks available for different injector sizes. I know that I f I have a glitch that throws the ECM into limp home mode with 72lb injectors I'm not going to get very far.

Thats what I am aiming for. I have a spare ecm with no calpack and was thinking of putting one configured for 50's in there. I had a 'glitch' recently where my chip lost contact with the socket in the ECM as I was getting on the thruway. Went about 1/4 mile then quit.

Don't know anyone who has ever reverse engineered the calpack. I casually looked at it once but didn't get far. In limp mode the engine will barely run with 50's and blow black smoke all the time, and with anything larger it is hard to keep it running. If you do go into limp mode fueling with 50's or bigger get it shut off as soon as you safely can and then change the oil asap as you have just filled it with gasoline.

Don't know anyone who has ever reverse engineered the calpack. I casually looked at it once but didn't get far. In limp mode the engine will barely run with 50's and blow black smoke all the time, and with anything larger it is hard to keep it running. If you do go into limp mode fueling with 50's or bigger get it shut off as soon as you safely can and then change the oil asap as you have just filled it with gasoline.

Carl, can you point me in the direction of some info to look at. I am an EE
and have access to alot of tools/chips/info. maybe i can start a side project.

I played around with making chips for myself for a while then found it was much easier to just by a proven good one, but I fun. I read alot of your articles here and on TT site, nice job

I was going to post a new question but I sadly see it has been asked with an answer I don't like :(
Anyone made some progress on the Calpack in the intervening years?

(Was nice to meet you at BPG Carl, my heat addled brain didn't make the connection till the way home ~ the Mrs and I followed you into the suite)
D

I have decoded several calpack chips in the past, but not for the GN. It's nothing more than a series of resistors, internally wired in an unusual manner. The ceramic substrate in the chip is printed on both the top and the bottom, so several resistance elements interact in both series and parallel, giving you odd resistances between the pins.

I did one project where the P4 style calpack had two different calibration resistor networks. I wound up using a PC board with surface-mount resistors which essentially cloned the properties of the two chips. Did this on a few different calpack chip part numbers.

You could experiment with different values for the one resistor that's responsible for the limp-mode injector PW and could probably place it outside of the chip package. That would make the limp-value match your injectors more precisely, which could prevent cylinder wash-down when using the larger injectors.

Now you gotta ask yourself, is it worth the effort? Hmm...

Thanks John. Are the pinouts of the PW resistor published somewhere?
Subsequent to my post I did attack a CALPACK with a meter and decided that solving the matrix was more than a casual exercise and perhaps not my current top priority :)

(And thanks for bringing your kick azz display to BG and our illuminating chat about your knock indicator internals)
Dave

Back