You can type here any text you want

Calpack part number?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jan Larsson

I got a calpack out of my spare ECM and the number is 16036495 ... I thought the GN (and the Turbo Trans Am???) number should be 16036503 (or 16036504).

What is the correct number and what application would use the 16036495 I got?

Also is the Calpack the same on the GN 86/87 and the 89 Turbo Trans Am or are they different?

The calpack you have is for the normally aspirated 3.8's, VIN 3 and B, from 86-ish to 88. These used the same ecm but with a different calpack and eprom. A great way to track stuff like this down is to go to www.acdelco.com, click parts catalog and then cross reference. You are right, the 84-87 calpack is 16036503 or 4. I don't know if the TTA was the same or not, and the acdelco site doesn't list that one (maybe discontinued?).

Some of the guys selling ecms get them from n/a 3.8 cars and while the ecm is a 7148 they don't mention the non-turbo calpack (I got one that way). That said, so long as you don't have an eprom error (the check engine light will flash very fast) it never looks at the calpack for anything but to make sure one is there, and once your injectors get past about 009's (42.5 lb/hr) the stock calpack is pretty far off anyway. The engine will blow black smoke and barely run with 50's, and will blubber and barely move the car with 72's (and make the oil smell like gasoline in about two seconds so change it if you ever do this :-)). I've never tried to run with the n/a calpack but my guess is it will limp okay. Or just put your turbo calpack in the new ecm if you ever switch - the chances of the calpack itself being bad are virtually zero.

Thanks Carl, that explains it. I bought the ECM as a spare and had to use it the other day to make sure I did not have any ECM issues that's when I noticed the differnt calpak. I just swapped in my original one while testing with my spare ECM, so good news I now know my spare works fine :-)

Back