Calpack

GNASH

If the Calpack chip in the ECM is toast, will the car run? Secondly, if it does run, will it resort to limp mode? I have an ongoing rich problem and I just replaced the ECM but before I go on to the next thing, I want to make sure that the Calpack is good or needs to be replaced. I can disconnect O2 and TPS sensors and nothing logs on the TLink as a code of any sort. It should at least register if anything has been disconnected. :confused:

Thanks.

The calpak is the little chip. If you remove it you will get an error code but the engine will run just fine. The eprom is the big chip, and if you remove it the ses light will blink very fast and the ecm will run in limp-home mode off the calpak, which will be very rich if you have bigger than stock injectors. So long as the eprom is in and not bad I don't think the ecm looks at the calpak but I guess it could be bad in a way that would cause a problem. Even with both calpak and eprom removed you should get a data stream that tlink can read, showing all the sensors and the error codes from the missing chips, so if that doesn't work I'd have to suspect the ecm.

Just when I think the problem is vaccum related, I think back to the fact that Tlink won't show any codes when I start unplugging sensors.........does GM still have Calpack chips in stock or is that another item that they do not carry anymore?