cam bearing hole alignment

gsbuick65

are the holes in the cam bearing suppose to be @ 9 o'clock? the front and rear bearings are @ 9 &2. looked at my other block and there @ 8.

What bearings are you using? If stock style then I would locate them as close to the bottom as possible. (probably around 8 o'clock) Unless you want to mod them or use the ta series.

there clevite bearings, the machine shop put em it @ 9, I ran I wire into the holes and there lined up, but the back one has 2 holes and one isnt lined up with a hole. will it hurt them to be @ 9?

The front bearing can be installed in ANY position, because the block has a 360* groove under the bearing to transfere oil to the drivers side lifter gallery. The rear bearing only needs one hole to line up. The front and rear bearings are the same ones. (Clevite and Federal Mogul anyway) There is only one gallery hole in the rear journal. I clock the cam bearings so it covers all but 1/2 the hole to reduce the amount of oil going to the cam.

Wait Wait!!

If I understand your signature correctly, you have an '84 which to my knowledge does NOT have the groove under the bearing. Someone else please chime in, but as I understand it the 84-85 block uses a cam with a groove instead of a groove in the cam journal in the block. Rotating a front bearing to the 6 o'clock position would cause major issues!

its a 85 block but its the same a 84, I took a coat hanger and bent it 90deg. and the holes lined up, but my 84 block I have laying here there at 8. so now im comfused.