You can type here any text you want

Cam Break-in and Setting Crank Sensor Gap

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1987 Grand National

I just installed a comp cams flat tappet cam. I was thinking I would use some brad Penn 10w-30 with a bottle of zddp and run it at 2k rpm for 15-20 minutes to break it in. As for the crank sensor gap, is there a spec on the gap between it and the reluctor? I would appreciate any recommendations.

I personally use a straight 30w oil with a bottle of ZDDP. Run the engine at 2500-3000rpm for 29min. Shut it down and let it cool. Change the oil and filter and put my favorite (mine is VR1 20-50) and ZDDP.
Also as long as there is a gap and not hitting the ring you will be good. There is a spec but cant remember what it is.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Cam break in...My preffered way......Dino oil somewhere around 30w - 10w40 and a bottle of zddplus, run for 30 minutes varying RPM from 2-3 k during that time. Let engine cool and change oil and filter.
Before restarting allow the engine to cool completly to room/amb temp before restarting, allowing the valve springs to cool helps their life.

Crank sensor...make sure sensor is equally spaced and not too deep or shallow and your good.

1987 Grand National said:
I just installed a comp cams flat tappet cam. I was thinking I would use some brad Penn 10w-30 with a bottle of zddp and run it at 2k rpm for 15-20 minutes to break it in. As for the crank sensor gap, is there a spec on the gap between it and the reluctor? I would appreciate any recommendations.

Read the paperwork that came with the cam. Comp calls for 30min at 2000-2500rpm.

Best way I find to set the crank sensor is to cut 2 strips of cardboard 1/4" x 2" long off the lid on a oil filter box and loosen the crank sensor bolt, the 5/16 " one and slide the cardboard between the crank ring and sensor on each side . This will get you centered pretty well then re-tighten the bolt. The card board should be around .015 thick. HTH

Back