You can type here any text you want

TTA front springs?? moog number?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sdteb

trying to get it like you
just normal 305 springs right? i used them and it sits way high..

Parts manual says all Base Firebirds except the four banger had the same front spring, GM part number 14034238, which is discontinued, but should cross to the Moog 5602. The Firebird Trans Am GTA uses the Moog 5662, The TTA is a GTA with an engine option, so that's your spring.

The 5662 is two inches shorter in free length and a specified 0.25" shorter compressed length, so it'll bring the nose of the car down compared to the 5602. It's also substantially stiffer.

I put the 5662, super high compared to the spring that was in it.. which has sticker 14029394 on them...

i ordered a 5660 to see how that looks on her.... put new sachs struts in it as the old koni's were shot... also put in new rubber strut/spring mounts and new kyb strut perches...or what ever they are called. :)

all i know is teh 5662 make it look like its got a lift kit in it

I went through the exact same thing last year, the moogs ride like a truck but technically they are stock ride height, i ended up swapping to an eibach prokit, a little stiffer than the moogs but Had the perfect stance in my book, pic below.
1000002298.jpg

Have you driven it with the 5662 springs?
At 748 lb/in spring rate it seems it would be pretty stiff.
Do you like the way it rides? Does it seem to ride the same as the old springs? Did you put new springs in the rear as well?

I know trimming coils is a lot of work to get where you want to be, but may be worth it in the end.
On a different car trimming 1 coil off made the spring 6% stiffer. If you’re ok with a stiffer ride trimming may be an option.
If you do trim the springs, I would suggest a 1/4 coil at a time. Drive it for a bit and allow it to settle.
I had an ‘82 TA with a 400cid small block.
I trimmed 1/2 coil so it set level. This was when the car was 10 yrs old.
The chart says it had the 5606 springs. The Koni adjustable struts were considerably stiffer than stock.

The 5660 has a spring rate of 598 lbs/ in and a 152 lb lower load number so it would sit a little lower.

I don’t know if any of this helps, but I do feel your pain and frustration.

IMG_1876.jpeg

With homemade glass hood.
IMG_1875.jpeg

Back