You can type here any text you want

Cam choice?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kjhansen

My cam gearset is probably pretty worn out so I thought that while replacing it I'd put in a new cam. But what cam?
I know this question has been asked a thousand times, but every combo is different so here goes again.
Here's my combo:

Fuel: Walbro GSS340 fuel pump hotwired, 009 injectors (42.5pph). Adjustable fuel pressure regulator, homemade alcohol injection.

Air: K&N 14", LT1 MAF and Translator. RJC powerplate. Both valve cover breathers.

Turbo: Precision TE-44. Adjustable wastegate actuator

Intercooler: Ford Powerstroke Diesel front mount

Cooling: Nick Micale 3-row radiator, high-speed fan switch, Ramchargers dual fan, heater hoses blocked to/from the throttle body. Coolant--distilled water with RMI-25 and rust inhibitor added. 160 degree thermostat.

Engine: New valve springs at 133,000 miles. Engine tie-down. Stock cam, stock heads, stock block, etc.

Exhaust: custom made single shot, Terry Houston 3" downpipe, test pipe with electric cutout.

Trans/Torque Convertor: StageRight Transbrake. Torque convertor lock-up switch. Rebuilt trans with a Precision, 2800 stall torque convertor.

Electronics: Jay Carter 108 octane race chip or 93 octane street chip. Plugs: Autolite 23's @ .035 and Accel 8mm wires.

Suspension: Air bags in the coil springs (10psi right, 5psi left), 4" pinion snubber, boxed lower control arms, rolled the lips on the fenders.

Tires: 275x50x15 BFG Drag Radials mounted on 8" wide aluminum rims.

Differential: Posi. 3.42 gears (stock)

Last time I ran at the track the car ran a 12.3@113. I've added the RJC Powerplate, the THDP, the 2800 stall convertor, the front-mount intercooler and replaced an older Walbro with the one mentioned above since then. Feels strong, but who knows without a time slip?
So, what cam with all that and stock heads? Remember, the car has the vacuum brake conversion.
Keith

SPEEDPRO

I`m using Speedpro 194/204 cam.Great low end to top end
pulls strong even at 5,500 rpm with 22# boost

With your combo, stay with the stock cam. When you decide to rebiuld the motor and step up the heads and convertor, then you could change out the cam. Brian

Just out of curiosity, what is the int/exh duration of the stock cam? Re: stepping up the convertor--I'm already up to a 2800 stall. And if I order a cam won't the sales rep want to know lift also?
Keith

if the stocker is good....keep it (as already noted)

you will gain nothing with your existing combo

Stock cam spec from gnttype.org quick ref. chart

Stock cam data from a vendor's catalog:
Advertised Duration : 258/262
Duration at .050" lift : 192/196
Lift .384/.408
Lobe Separation 107 degrees
Overlap 38 degrees

I vote for stock cam
you can touch ten with it

IMO

Claude