You can type here any text you want

cam doesent look good to me

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mybuick

intercooled engines rule!
i took out my 87 cam that is 3 years old and didnt know about the zddp til christmas 2007 if you cant se to well in the pic just half of the ramp is shiny and the forth to last lobe is warn more than the rest. all lobes are all different heights from .453 to .430. i think i need a new cam.....but the wear pattern on all ramps are wierd to me. i cant get a clear enough pic maby someone can focus this pic better? comp cams 260h cam

cam003.jpg

because i didnt know about the oil problem until chrismas 07 and friends of mine had cams go bad in 100 miles and i always used castrol gtx with no zddp additive.

It's normal to see odd wear patterns on the lobes because the lifters are spinning as the cam rotates. What you'll see is a polished "trail" that gradually weaves back and forth (side to side) along the lobe...this is ok. If you put a mic on the lobes and only see a few thousandths between all the lobes you should be fine...to know what the machining tollerances were for that cam would help determine wear. Keep in mind when you mic the lobes that some grinders have a taper ground into the lobes to foce lifter spin, so try and mic the lobes in the same spot for all of them to determine heigth. If the lobe is worn bad you can eyeball the lobes and see an obvious "rounding" shape to the lobes instead of a peak look. Also take notice of the specific lifter from each lobe to see if they have a nice pollished look about them void of any galling or colored heat spots. These aforementioned things would be key indicators of a bad lifter/lobe. I've personally witnessed wiped lobes that were literly round when compared to a good lobe with a nice peak. Good luck!

look at your lifters and see if they are worn into a concave. if they are flat on the bottom then you are ok

Mark them when you took them out??
If not...Time for a new cam & lifters.

Hard to tell from that one pic but I see normal wear patterns on several lobes - if you find one that looks like it is clean, fresh machined...that is the bad one.

Back