You can type here any text you want

cam firing order

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

garyk1970

Electronics Moderator
Staff member
customer brought car in for tuning said that the cam thats thought to be in the engine requires a different timing order than stock?
he going to call me tomorrow with the cams specs. car doesn't seem to be "choppy" at idle?
it runs rough and I'm going to start with a scanmaster and a "spring cleaning".

Maybe an odd fire cam and an odd fire crank? If not, is this a Chevy?, or a 302 ford with a 351W cam????? Or a StageII cam in a stock block. I HAVE seen THAT before........they couldn't figure out why it wouldn't run. Schnieder had sent them a StageII cam instead of a stock billet roller. My friend called me and had me lay a stock cam on the bench and tell him what lobes werte up/down. He DID figure out what happened, though. Smart guy. Schnieder applogized and sent him the right cam right away. The car did run with a stageII cam int it, but not very good.;)

turns out that the cam doesn't require a special firing order,i still don't know what it is, but after;
1)new coil,and wiring it up correctly to the module.
2) new autolite 24's gapped at .032
3) new wires
4)injector #1 plug/terminal loose
5) adjusted cam sensor per gnttype.org for a more aggressive cam.Cam Sensor Information
6)installed my scanmaster and turned boost down to 15psi.

car runs great.good power,chirps a good second:biggrin: ,but after a test drive,i ran into a local parts house and when i came back to the car (about 15 min) it wouldn't start(run). good fuel pressure,no spark. also the ATS (iar intake temp sensor)on the scanmaster was flashing HOT, and the cars temp according the the vdo gage was 187??

turn the cam sensor back closer to 0* ?

crank sensor on its way out? i did notice every time i started the car (before and during the tune up) it took longer to start to run.
thanks for the help....

Could be a cam sensor problem, been reports of the little tang that locates the metal ring inside the cap breaking off. Then the ring can randomly move around, leading to no start problems. But in that case you'd still have spark I guess, just spark at the wrong time. If no spark then maybe it is crank sensor related.

thanks for the help,on another thread,other members are calling for me to check the coil pack module too......

Back