You can type here any text you want

Cam gear problem with Stage 2 and Roller cam?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

I have had a few conversations with a few different people about problems with the cam gears getting chewed up in these Stage blocks. Mine is an off center block with a 215/220 Hydraulic Roller. Anybody else have these issues? Any good advice on what can be done to help eliminate this problem? I got some good advice on a good fix by tapping a fiiting into the mechanical FP block off plate in the front cover and spraying oil into this area. Any other ideas? ------Jeremy

PS. My motor is new as well as the Cam Sensor but if I can help cure future problems, I will!

DLS sells a high dollar composite cam sensor gear that is supposed to fix the problem. Only applies to billet roller cam shafts with the seperate cam and fule pump eccentric. Does not apply to stock style one piece cast rollers. Something about the original source for the cam sensor drive gear on the cam not being available and the replacements do not play well with stock cam sensor gears. I can't explain why, but have seen quite a few cam sensor gears destroyed from premature wear in recent years and it was never a problem back in the day. Gears were worn down like razors. Replaced with the new gear and they seem to be lasting fine.

wear

spray oil directly on the cam sensor gear. I have a post in this section somewhere showing how to do this---Very simple to do and very inexpensive.

I read about Lee Thompson's mod sometime back and have incorporated it in my build. I am using a NOS nozzle with an .025" jet to spray oil on the gear. I have the supply line running through the air gap of the intake to an oil port I had available on the rear of the block.

Attachments

• Picture285[1].jpg
    Picture285[1].jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 329
Is this a Stage block issue or a cam issue? I have a 215/220 Hydraulic roller from FullThrottle. It's not a billet cam, will i have issues?

Is this a Stage block issue or a cam issue? I have a 215/220 Hydraulic roller from FullThrottle. It's not a billet cam, will i have issues?

Jeremy you should be OK, the FT cam retains the stock oiling provision passage. I just bought the same 215/220 XR3 cam and checked for the oiling hole. It's there.

Jeremy you should be OK, the FT cam retains the stock oiling provision passage. I just bought the same 215/220 XR3 cam and checked for the oiling hole. It's there.

Swweeeeetttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was really dreading taking this thing back apart again! I will keep an eye on though!

Back