Cam selection question

BLACK MAGIC RACING

formerly turbo_canuck
Working on my stage 2 over the winter, It's a 274 off-center, 4" bore, 9to 1 comp., crower crank, carillo rods, je pistons, stage 2 "031" heads, 90mm tb and elbow, conv. 4 barrel, Fast sequential, modified oil pickup, pt-88, stock ignition, th-400 w/brake, 4000 stall, and have a few questions.

1. Is the comp #93-850-9 296-R4 cam a good choice for my application? (294 in,300 exh adv. dur, 264-268@.050, 650 650 lift, 104*ls)

2. Can i use the lifters from the old cam, a weber 218-212 solid roller?

3. Will the oiling system i have be sufficient for mid 9's?

4. Is the fel-pro #1000 the right head gasket for me?

Thanks for any help you can give! :biggrin:

Well since nobody posted anything, these are my opinions.
1. Yes. I know people with less cam that have been where you want to go.
2. What are they?
3.Yes, again, people have run in the 9's with a similar set-up.
4. Fel-pro? Ah, maybe someone who's run 9's could tell you if they are sufficient. I don't think so, but I honestly don't know either. I will try to find out what my friends use on their 9 sec. car. :)

THanks again stu, u da man! :cool: THe lifters, i'm not sure what make they are, all i know is that they're solid rollers, used with my old cam and gn1's. that cam was the mildest stage 2 cam in comp's catalog, some were over 700 lift and 276 duration! :eek:

turbo_canuck said:
THanks again stu, u da man! :cool: THe lifters, i'm not sure what make they are, all i know is that they're solid rollers, used with my old cam and gn1's. that cam was the mildest stage 2 cam in comp's catalog, some were over 700 lift and 276 duration! :eek:

No problem, hopefully an "expert" will chime in to help. yeah, that is probably the cam I am going to need. :D

Not sure about the lifters, But that cam imo is way to big, IF your goal is low 9s stay as small as you can with the cam,Something in the high 230's to mid 240s.Small cam equals faster spoolup and a 230-240 cam will spin 7500 all day on a solid roller. How high do you want to spin it?

stage

you cant use a fel-pro1000 gasket on a 4 inch bore, i learnt the hard way, i use a 1026 fel-pro on my 4,010 block and a fel-pro 1000 on my 3,940 bore, the 3,940 engine is o ringed for the 1000 gaskets, it was this way when i got it from a indy team, 36 lbs boost with a 88 turbo and i have never blowed a head gasket, the other engine is not o ringed and i have burned head gaskets and heads last 3 times out with 22 lbs boost engine is out of car now, cam comp, roller 300 lbs seat pressure 650 lift with 165 rocker arms, i have a nice sheet metal[alum]tunnel ram intake with fuel rails, coil bracket, throttle bracket for off center stage heads, for sale, good luck, :)

KLHAMMETT said:
Not sure about the lifters, But that cam imo is way to big, IF your goal is low 9s stay as small as you can with the cam,Something in the high 230's to mid 240s.Small cam equals faster spoolup and a 230-240 cam will spin 7500 all day on a solid roller. How high do you want to spin it?

That cam is not necessarily bad though for his combo right? Couldn't fast spoolup be accomplished pretty easy with the proper converter? Just curious. :)

RUnning a cam that big will take a pretty loose convertor to get into a usable power range,that will help spool the turbo also,But that may consist of a 6000 stall to make it work "WELL" then ou will need to spin it well over 7000 to keep you car making usable power.
This is stuff i found from playing with convertor.
My car last year ran a 226 cam spooled great pulled to 7200 and dropped to 5800 on the shifts,and ran onlt single conical springs.You go that big with a cam and you will need some serious valve springs, which also cause excessive wear on valve train parts.
I just dont see the need for a real big cam if your only turning in thje high 6000-low 7000 range,Id rather have the small cam for spoolup.

cam.

i have a neil chance 10 inch bolt together convertor 4000 stall =0 boost . seems to spool easy, dan at dls sold it to me, dls supplyed the comp, cam also. :)

OC, you mentioned using the 1000 with an o-ringed block, but fel-pro's catalog doesn't list it as an oring gasket? you also said a 1026 for 4.010 bore, is this the gasket to use for my 4" bore as well? where do i find a cam that size, Otto?

cam,

the oring is in the block around each cyl, oring fits behing the fire ring in the head gasket which is a fel-pro 1000 the oring is .030 wire, you can also use a copper gasket with same oring, any machine shop can install a oring give them the head gasket that you are going to use, call dan at dls get his ph # from joe lubrant post, easy way tell him what you have engine size etc, he will figure lift, dur, etc, that will work best for your app, i have the same cam and convertor as dave ficus runs. dave has a big 47-88 turbo and he seems to spool it ok, daves cam come from cal hartline, good luck, i have serval stage cams for na engines, cheap two cups coffee, :)

cam

yes i would use a 1026 gasket on any size 4 inch and bigger, ohio george give me serval sets of gaskets that he used on the indy lite engines, they changed color when they got too hot, erkin rankin give me a set of detroit head gaskets he used them on his 8 sec car, they were good also, i like fel pro because i have had good luck with them, good luck, :)

If you really study up on cams you will find out that there are ALOT of things that effect the choice of "The right one". There are alot of statements that can be made to help steer you towards a general direction. The simplest statement is to talk to guys with similar set ups and get feed back on there particular cams until you find the one that sounds best for you. If you want to read up on some crazy cam stuff with tubo motors look here:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144094

Jason

My opinion....FelPro gaskets are OLD SCHOOL including the 1007. Cometic is tough to beat in all aspects. The cam is crucial to your combo, there is alot more to take into consideration than just duration. How much power do you want to make?

Bill, which cometics, and where do i get them? I'd like to get into the mid-low 9's range on a fairly easy tune, with 9.0's possibly when going balls-out. I'm guessing this is hp in the 750-800 area? I'll be making a couple of phone calls on monday, to Ken Duttweiler, Dan Strezo, and Comp cams for some suggestions. Unless i can get a lil' feedback from the fastest GN at the Nats.? :biggrin:

Whats the weight of the car? It will take 800+ at the wheels to go low nines in a 3500# car

turbo_canuck said:
Bill, which cometics, and where do i get them? I'd like to get into the mid-low 9's range on a fairly easy tune, with 9.0's possibly when going balls-out. I'm guessing this is hp in the 750-800 area? I'll be making a couple of phone calls on monday, to Ken Duttweiler, Dan Strezo, and Comp cams for some suggestions. Unless i can get a lil' feedback from the fastest GN at the Nats.? :biggrin:

With Ken or Dan you can't go wrong.

We have run a cam much bigger than anything mentioned here
with a 5000 stall and it was not a problem to spool.
As Job Spetter says it's all in the tune! ;)

Just cause you CAN ran it, Doesnt mean you need it.Heavy valve springs are a bitch on the valve train

KLHAMMETT said:
Just cause you CAN ran it, Doesnt mean you need it.Heavy valve springs are a bitch on the valve train

Hey now, you're not the expert here on cams! J/K big boy. :D :D I know I know $hit about any of this just to add. :eek: :eek: