You can type here any text you want

Cam sensor install help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
image.jpg
I've been at this for going on a hour and I can not get the sensor to install with the window facing the drivers side fender at either 25 deg or 0 before tdc. When I lined the marks up on my old one before I pulled it it wasn't lined up either. The window is pointing at the engine, thought maybe I was 180 deg out but then it points at the radiator. What the hell am I doing wrong !

Pull the cam sensor,Look down inside an turn the oil pump with a screw driver to about 1 o'clock.looking from drivers side fender. Now replace with window towards p/s pump. Now push down well turning the base. It should go in. Set with cam tool after that.edit make sure your 25 atdc.

As the gear engages, it turns the shaft, so you have to allow for that--also, you have to engage the slot on the oil pump drive shaft at the same time. Set the balancer at the 25* mark and play with it by turning the oil pump shaft with a screw driver and watch how the CPS shaft turns as you try to engage it. It Takes some practice to get all the stars in alignment. Oh, also lube the O-ring on the CPS as that can hang up also... HTH...

blackazz posted while I was typing, but between what we both put in there, you should be OK!

Thanks for the help guys, still chasing my no start issue could the cam sensor being installed off the way it was be my issue ?

That window tells the computer witch is cylinder number 6 so it starts spraying in the right cylinder.it will act like it wants to start but not.also look at crank sensor

Here are some tips on installing the cam sensor:

1. The engine MUST be set a 25 degrees AFTER top dead center which means it is on the compression stroke of number 1 cylinder.

2. The radial orientation of the cam sensor is optional, what is not optional is the window of the rotor must be in the slot in the cap when the complete unit is installed at 25 deg. after TDC. The wires can point anywhere.

going to reinstall the crank sensor next, does the window have to be in an exact position or is pointed towards the drivers fender good enough

just to be sure I did it correctly does the sticker for 25* go to the left or right of the timing mark ? I put it to the left

I'd say it needs to be as close as possible to pointing at the P/s pump. But veterans will know best. An ya counter clockwise.for 25 atdc

going to reinstall the crank sensor next, does the window have to be in an exact position or is pointed towards the drivers fender good enough

I know this procedure is hard to understand as it took me a while to figure it out! :)

Where the wires points makes no difference, but the position of the cam in the slot in mandatory.

I will be glad to walk you through this procedure if you would like to call me?

I don't have the cap on so im not referring to the position the wires are in but if you don't mind explaining it to me ill call.

It really doesn't matter where the window is pointed in the cam sensor as long as it is timed correctly. I set mine a little more clockwise so I have easier access to the hold down bolt.

Back