Cam sensor install

scgnx

Ran into a problem with the cam sensor settings after replacing the timing chain. Car won't start and its struggling to turn over, like its 15:1 compression. I believe that I screwed up when I installed the cam sensor back after oil priming. Here's my two questions :

1) With the DS valve cover off, on the #1 cylinder would both intake and exhaust valves be closed at TDC ? Not sure what stroke I am on when installing sensor.

2) Using the casper's tool, is it possble at 25 ATDC that I could turn the sensor wrong direction and get a lit LED ? Essentially out of phase.

Any suggestions would be appreciated..

thanks, Scott

It is possible to get the light and have it not set properly. If it is not starting, I would begin the process all over again. Be sure to prime the oiling system again. Personal experience at play :eek: .

That's what I thought too, still not sure on how to determine the compression stroke for TDC. Would both valve be closed on #1 ??

Just had same problem.

Follow the Caspers directions carefully. Remember the window S/B towards the drivers side or its 180 out. Once I got it right it fired right up.

Timing mark at "0"
Cam Sensor WIndow pointing at Drivers Side
Put tape on
Rotate Crank CCW
Turn cap CW 1/4 turn [I think]
Rotate CCW until light just stays on
Set sensor/tighten screw
Turn key-it should fire right up

This was from memory, Comments??

TDC on #1...both valves closed...as for the window it doesn't matter where it goes...it will just determine where the electrical connector ends up when the sensor it set...the most important part of setting the sensor is to make sure the engine is at TDC #1 compression stroke...

Thanks a bunch...going to redo the install and follow the directions from Casper's to the letter. The sensor was put in 180 out (wrong stroke) Douh!

You are not alone. All good mechanics make em' from time to time. After taking 14 hours to take it apart, 14 more to put it back together, I did the same thing.

I ran into the same problem when I put my new sensor in. The car would struggle to turn over and seem to be jamming up. Finally I took it to a shop and told them to replace the timing chain ( which another shop had told me the problem was ), which they did, only after seeing there was nothing wrong with mine. Since they had already took the front off, and I told them too to start with, they replaced the chain. However, they had the same problem I did apparently because when I got the car home I hooked my cam tool up and no light! Took the car back and they hooked it up to the cam tool, set it, and no start. They had to adjust it a little at a time until the car would crank and run. Got some loud backfires doing it too.:D Unfortunately, my car has started maing a rattling noise and has been sitting for a few weeks now. Went out to start it yesterday and it's doing the jamming up thing again. Tried adjusting the sensor again but killed the battery trying to start it so much. Maybe the sensor is the cause of all my grief? They do make rattling noises.:confused:

Sure it should be at 0 deg, thought the correct setting for the crank was at 25 deg after TDC. Then install cam sensor and adjust with light or voltmeter.

paul

Nope..."after"...when you drop in the sensor it can be at TDC or 25 degrees after...doesn't really matter...then use the tool or multimeter to set it...I cut/painted a groove in my balancer right at 25 degrees after TDC...lot easier to set now...

Man, I'm so messed up trying to get the car to run I couldn't tell before or after TDC. Maybe it's time a mechanic pays me a visit.:rolleyes: