Cam Sensor Placement

lordmikef

I'm rebuilding my entire engine and im at the point of putting the cam sensor in and i was wondering if the placement of this sensor matters. If it does, what is the correct proceedure for placing it. Thanks for any help/.

It doesn't really matter, unless the wires interfere with anything else in the area. You can pretty much choose the placement, give or take. The wires in the cap are at the sensor location. If you want the wires in a certain spot, then insert the shaft/gear and note the gap in the ring. Re-set the shaft to get it in a different spot, you may need to move the oil pump shaft with a large screwdriver. You want the gap in the ballpark of where you want the wires. After you get everything wired up, you'll have to set the sensor, but at least you're already close.

If you have just rebuilt your engine, then don't install the cam sensor yet.
Because you will have to remove it to run the oil pump to prime it and to fill up all the oil passages.
Just my 2 cents.

Gary

Originally posted by scottyb
.............. You want the gap in the ballpark of where you want the wires. After you get everything wired up, you'll have to set the sensor, but at least you're already close.

Remember, the engine MUST be at 25 degrees after TDC when setting the cam sensor.

I always drop her in at top dead center. I have tried 25 degress past and really could not tell the difference. I know the cam sensor does the injector firing, so actually I am probably hurting gas milage. I believe pete from ANS is the guy that told me he puts them all in at top dead center and lines up the little notch on the sensor to the window.

There's a good read on this on "another" site - turbobuick.com, but add an s to make buicks. (I'd post a link, but it would get filtered out :rolleyes: ). Search in the general tech for "cam sensor and timing Q". It's worth the read.