You can type here any text you want

cam/timing chain question new to forum

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hello, I am new to the Turbo buick forum, but have a question regarding cam choice and timing chain choice. I am working on a 87 gn and the motor was recently rebuilt. The guy put the cam in at 4 degrees advance. I was taking the motor back apart to put the cam at zero, per comp cams reccomendation and i notice that the cam had some type of pitting that looked like rust, I pulled it out and I noticed that it is a Conley Performance 221 duration at .050 cam, I think that this is much too big and need advice on what cam/ timing chain to use for a 2800 stall convertor. thanks for your help.

Hello, I am new to the Turbo buick forum, but have a question regarding cam choice and timing chain choice. I am working on a 87 gn and the motor was recently rebuilt. The guy put the cam in at 4 degrees advance. I was taking the motor back apart to put the cam at zero, per comp cams reccomendation and i notice that the cam had some type of pitting that looked like rust, I pulled it out and I noticed that it is a Conley Performance 221 duration at .050 cam, I think that this is much too big and need advice on what cam/ timing chain to use for a 2800 stall convertor. thanks for your help.

I'm sure some others will post up on this. What else has been done to the car, what other mods? Below is a great site to get a bunch of easy to read info at. There is also a wealth of info on this site as well, you just need to look in the archives and past posts. :)

Vortex Turbo Buick Performance

rebuilt motor, eagle crank, rods, je pistons, 3" dp, stock turbo/intercooler(for now) t&d rockers, champion iron heads, fuel pump, fast from hartline, alky injection, 2800 converter,plant to go to a 67 turbo and stock location in the near future. Need a cam that will work with what is in place now and with the larger turbo and intercooler. thanks for your help.

rebuilt motor, eagle crank, rods, je pistons, 3" dp, stock turbo/intercooler(for now) t&d rockers, champion iron heads, fuel pump, fast from hartline, alky injection, 2800 converter,plant to go to a 67 turbo and stock location in the near future. Need a cam that will work with what is in place now and with the larger turbo and intercooler. thanks for your help.

A 210-215 from Full Throttle will work for now & be great with a 67. Thats what I have & like it. These cars aren't super cam sensitive in most cases but I've tried about 5 grinds & like both the 214-214 & 210-215 grinds.

If you question the quality/condition of the cam at all, replace it. The roller cam is the best suggestion, and the grind depends on you driving and power output. IMHO the 221 is too much for a street car. I tend to favor the larger exhausts for the street car cams. Again, if your not comfortable with the cam, replace it. it will cost alot more to change it later.

Hope this helps you.

Back