Camaro Swap

R

racr4jc

Aright guys, I've been searching for a motor to swap into my '68 Camaro in place of the V8...I wanna drop in a smaller motor that will turn RPM (7000+) and take some boost. I've been looking at the Buick turbo motor, and it just seems like the motors aren't bulletproof enough to take high RPM. I know that if I drop in a GNX motor and leave it, I'll have a fast ride...but I want a little more than that. I want it high tech, yet not as exclusive as say...a ferrari, meaning i want to be able to find parts for it. What do you guys think about the modern Chevy/GMC V6s? Are they up to the task of withstanding 15-20 lbs of boost and winding up to 7000+? I know that if i dropped in a new L6 and turbo'd it, that would be the ideal setup...but I would have to get MAD HOOKED UP to stumble upon such a sweet setup...because i havent seen crate motors available yet. Plus, I doubt anyone would invest in grinding cams for a SUV only motor.

Thanks

There are pros and cons to V6 Turbo swaps Chevy or Buick. Factory even fire cranks scare me after 500 hp or so and are even scarier to me after 6,000 rpms!

BUICKS
3800 Series II's seem to be strong and at first blush would appear to make a GREAT hot rod Turbo V6 engine. Start out with a stock series II 3800 Supercharged Long Block and fab up the turbo and intercooler. I wouldn't dream of a 7,000 rpm engine here but that's just me!

New cranks for the 3.8 liters are $$$ now, but that the ONLY reason to trash on the tried and true 3.8. Look how strong they run!

CHEVYS

4.3 Turbos
Hmmm, more cubes, Vortec L35 iron and Alum Bowtie heads, main caps, low buck Eagle rods/pistons. Cheaper factory even fire cranks... BOLTS up to your Chevy bellhousing! Very Very interesting huh? Downside is HARD to find factory Typoon intakes and exhaust manifolds. But someone can fab here right? I have a 91' Olds Bravada that runs good with one of these. http://www.buckshaw.com/bravada.htm With a nice cam and decent turbo she's all done by 5,500 though!

V8's
Ah ha! The holy grail! Why not TWIN TURBO a small block chevy?
Been done many times! Think Gale Banks, Callaway here. SBC's are plentiful and will be for years. Strong "NORMAL" crankshafts that'll REV! This wont be a swapmeet find, it'll cost but done right you should be able to SNAP 12 Bolts daily! ;)

You should be able to get 700 streetable horsepower with absolutely NO DRAMA

My final answer? Wow tough! Personally being a fan of the 3800 and the work his dad, (The 3.8 SFI turbo), does I'd do something dumb and cobble the turbo on the 3800 with a late model Camaro 4L60E trans custom mounts, etc.

On the other hand I've seen a lot of nice B & M and other small blowers run like crazy at 7 psi on a small block with no hassle! If you must go Hi Tech fly centrifugal with a Vortech Blower and a nice TPI setup.

Hope I didn't confuse you more!

Dave Buckshaw
www.buckshaw.com

:eek:

Turbo Firechicken

Guys, check out the Sept issue of GM High Tech Performance. A 10 second F-car with a GN engine and 700r4 tranny. It has been done.

I have also seen a L67 S/C engine in a Pontiac test mule, a yellow 95 F-car. I never got to drive it, but it sat in there really nice with a 96-98 Ram Air hood. I heard that it ran well.

The new Series II L67 engines, 95 and newer have great potential. The only limiter is the 4t65e trans it is bolted to. One of these with the 3.4 pulley in RWD application would be sweet meat indeed, with the fuel economy to match.

WHY THE R'S?/??/

:rolleyes: don't need RPM to make power... That's a old wife's tale.

What you need to do is look at cost,drivablity,dependability and the total power output your looking for.

Look at every aspect of a engine and it's manor in the body of the car it's being installed in.

As much as I love every aspect of the GN motors I don't think they would look or sound right in a 50's to 60's car.

Now, A LT1 or LS1 in a old body'd car.. cool! got the sound too.

Would a buick perform well in your 67.. sure.. and will make more power than a V8 for less cash but it just won't feel at home in there.
I guess if it were me I'd install a Ram Jet 350 Crate motor or a LS1/LT1. You've got good gasmilage,latest Technology excellent driveablity and still retain the 60's sound... Good luck~Scott