Camshaft position sensor problem?

When I read the cam sensor article on gnttype a few months back, I completely understood why moving it would make no difference with anything, unless it was way off.
But, experience has shown me otherwise. I set the sensor a month ago. It was set correctly, 25 degrees ATDC on the compression stroke, turning counterclockwise until i got the voltage drop and locked it in. I had this constant off idle stumble issue, and was looking everywhere else for the problem, cause everyone accepts this as the proper adjusting procedure, and there was no way it could be the problem. After trying everything else, I decided what the hell, what do I have to lose, so i retarded the cam sensor a few degrees. The stumbling issue was gone. I thought it must be a coincedence, so I set it back to 25atdc with the caspers tool. The stumble was back. I retarded it a few degrees, and it went away again. Like 20 minutes ago, I decided to screw with it again cause this thread got my curiosity going, and it seemed I was developing a slight stumble again. My idle o2's were about 880mv. I just retarded the cam sensor a few more degrees, and they dropped to 830mv. I dont know if this is better or worse, but it does seem to confirm that it does have an effect on the way the car runs. Its actually idling smoother than it was. I dont know why. Maybe some rotational degrees are lost when turning a worn out cam sensor, and a few degrees of rotation goes into pushing the sensor shaft up or down instead of rotating it. I know I have a very worn out sensor and need to shim it soon. The shaft is banging around pretty bad. I have read several threads on here where other guys have advanced or retarded their sensor and noticed the engine ran smoother. These opinions get tossed out the window as wishful thinking cause the conventional wisdom says its not possible.
Just thought id throw my observation out there.