You can type here any text you want

Can a throttle wacker be used on our cars

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1320n10

There has got to be a better way to stage the car with a t-brake than a msd. Box #2 in two years breaking up at top of third gear again. What else can be used for a boost/rpm limiter with a solinoid activated t-brake.

Originally posted by 1320n10
There has got to be a better way to stage the car with a t-brake than a msd. Box #2 in two years breaking up at top of third gear again. What else can be used for a boost/rpm limiter with a solinoid activated t-brake.
What sort of engine management are you useing? If aftermarket
there may be a provision for dual rev limiters. I know Motec has that ability. Some of the other popular systems like FAST or ACELL
may also.

Originally posted by 1320n10

I was thinking about a solenoid operated Wastegate. No actuator. Just hold the waste gate open so little to no boost, build some R's and launch on the engine converter's inertia, and then with the EGT up there, close the gate, and hammer building boost.

with a 1.38 it'd be hard to improve on that, but done right I think the above would be at least very consistant.

Using the stock vehicle speed sensor you can detect 2 foot of movement for starting things, so the inertia deal only has to work for a moment, and then your into boost.

Bruce i am not really looking to better the 60' just control it. I am told some are running an external gate on the up pipe tied into the brake?? The car has not seen a 1.38 for quite some time. Everything i do seems to put the car back a step.

Walt, Innovative controller with an external wastegate. The torque convertor will control the revs. You'll find the boost level that a certain amount of RPM will equal.

On my car, 10 psi is 5000 rpm. The boost controller will spike a little (2 psi) which is a couple 100 more RPM's. Then catch it in less than .5ths of a second on the T brake. The rev's come down with the boost level as the controller does it's job.

A couple ideas, Jim Rock told me he uses a solenoid to vent manifold boost to atmosphere while on the brake. This will only work if you use speed density. No Stock ECM with MAF.

Or- I have seen a linkage type throttle stop uses by another twin turbo guy (who shall remain nameless)......................................... I kinda like this option because you can use the CO2 for other things.
Dave

I also use my boost to limit my launch rpm. Mine is a little more complicated than 10SV6. I use an Innovative controler with a very, very weak spring, CO2 bottle and some drilling on the solenoids. FWIW, On my car 5# equals 4250, 10#'s equals 4500

Lawrence Conley set a system up on my car that uses a second regulator and solenoid. One regulator is for launch boost and is wired into the tranny switch so when it's pushed the car is in low boost or what you want down to the spring pound in the wastegate as a min. After you let go of the tranny button the solenoid then switches to the high boost regulator.

This is cheap and works very well.

Good Luck

I have been running a two step for several years to launch. This in conjunction with a 7AL2 box and FAST. Like the others, I have correlated the RPM and the boost. 5400 = #17. I tied the T-Brake switch to the low side of the 2 step, prestage on the footbrake then bump in at 3,500 RPM. The T-Brake holds well. The car spools quickly from 3500 to the rev limiter within two bulbs. This is with twin 68's, twin HKS Racegates, and a single boost regulator.

Back