You can type here any text you want

Can I do this myself?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Just a Six??

OK! Who Farted??
Wondering if I can do my rod bearings myself? I just need a torque wrench, oil pan gasket, new bolts?? bearings from GM or ?? This & lots of patience I figure. Do i need to plasti-guage them? My mechanic friend said about $200 to do it. Is this a safer way to go? Its not the money, just getting itchy to do something to help survive winter! Car does like the cooler temps now, but the snow is coming eventually! Thanks!

Give us some more info. What makes you think you need to change rod bearings? Its not a very hard job if you've ever had the oil pan off before, first time can be fun. I always like to at least plastigauge. Have you chnaged the timing chain yet? If not it would be a good time to do that too. I didn't catch my stock timing chain in time although it didn't break it still put some trash through the bearings and I changed rods and mains in the car.

About 5-6 years ago, I had the engine gone over by a shop. New rings, bearings, whatever he figured it needed. This last year I get a ticking that is usually fairly quiet, but somedays at start up it can be louder for a minute or less. My friend thinks it could be a rod bearing. But he also says its not 100% I have the time & space to do it. So I guess its pretty straight forward? I can pull a motor, & have some tools to do repairs but get nervous when bearings etc are involved! Guess the small clearances scare me!

I heard that the crankshaft sensor can cause ticking as it gets worn. Might wanna do a search on this forum. I have the same ticking sounds you describe. I plan on changing that sensor since my car is reaching the 100k mark.

Originally posted by Just a Six??
This last year I get a ticking that is usually fairly quiet, but somedays at start up it can be louder for a minute or less. My friend thinks it could be a rod bearing. But he also says its not 100% I have the time & space to do it. So I guess its pretty straight forward? I can pull a motor, & have some tools to do repairs but get nervous when bearings etc are involved! Guess the small clearances scare me!

Had the same sound from my 85 T-Type, my friend thought the same, being the bearings. Took the pan off and the bearings were in excellent shape, as a matter a fact they looked brand new and this was a motor that had 100K miles on it. I suspect it was valve train noise that resonated down the block, possibly a lifter.

Maybe I'll just leave it until the day I need to pull the motor & have it completely done. I'll find something else on the car to make a project out of soon enuf I figure! Thanks Guy's! Cheers

Pretty easy job. Open it up, if the bearings look good leave them and retorque to spec (40 ftlbs). If they look worn, just replace them. No need to plastigauge or replace rod bolts.

Back