Can I install hotwire kit prior to replacing fuel pump?

Speaking of the battery ground, the Racetronix hotwire kit mentions an optional "battery ground cable upgrade"...because apparently the stock black battery cable is a motor ground, not a body ground. You could simply make your own 8 GA wire ground to the body. If doing that, would it still be necessary to run a 10 GA ground wire from the tank up to the alternator?

That's probably just a wire to connect the engine ground point to the frame.

The stock battery cable grounds the body (poorly) and the engine. There is no frame ground. If you run the wire from your tank to the frame horn it won't do much good without grounding the frame.

It's easy enough to make one. Just pop the bolt out of the J-hook and put a wire on there with the negative cable, then put the other end on the frame.

Here's where I ran mine. There's a hole you can use to poke a bolt from the bottom side (8mm in my case) and attach the other end. This is a shot of where I relocated my grounds that used to be on the back of the head to share the bolt with my frame ground.
Photo1471.jpg

If I would have known how much happier the ground strap made my car, I would have done it 20 years ago. The huge bump in base fuel pressure verified that I made a major change.

I've got everything lined up for the fuel pump & hotwire kit install. I have the following items for the Walbro pump install kit, but I've seen other kits include a sponge-rubber tube that surrounds the pump, not just a rubber end cap. I don't have that tube; is it even necessary?

Capture.JPG

I happened upon Earl's tank-drop & fuel pump R & R write-up on the other Turbo Buick forum and I think I'll tackle the whole job myself...it doesn't look too challenging, and backing up onto some ramps and lowering the tank onto a 5-gallon pail is a great idea. He mentions to toss the OEM pulsator in the trash...is that the weird orange cylinder thing hanging from a wire off the fuel pump? And what does it do?
Please link. I need to do the same thing.

I would've answered yesterday but I knew it was on "the other Buick forum" and I only had it bookmarked on my work PC. :) It's an excellent write-up.

It actually took me about 10 minutes to find it. ....and I have a pretty good idea what to search for. lol

that one doesn't get near the press as one of the oil pump articles.