You can type here any text you want

Can the aluminum Stage II heads from a Busch motor be used on the street?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNVAIR

A friend of mine just purchased a 274 inch Stage 2 on center motor that was out of a Busch car. It included 3 aluminum Stage 2 heads with Titanium valves, a set of T&D's and another set of Jesel rockers. He says he will epoxy up the intake ports and be able to use them on the street with a sheet metal intake. His goal is to run high 9's to low 10's. What about the dry sump? Can he use that as well? He was given a 3 stage and a 4 stage pumps for it.
Is this a realistic goal? He also wants to run a solid roller because he was given the lifters as well. I am by far not an expert on Stage stuff, but wanted to know to pass the info on. I think he is just jaded because he has stuff that is expensive to buy, but I am not sure how drivable it will be when he is done. Who on the East Coast is knowledgeable with this stuff that builds Stage motors?

Sure, they can be used. It opens up a whole 'nuther can of worms as far as getting an intake, headers, etc...but they can be used. I'm building a S2, S2 headed car right now.

On the East Coast you might want to talk to Bill Anderson..search this forum for posts by him. Their S2 headed, single 88 turbo street car (AC intact, beautiful paint, looks like a show car) went easy 9.30s at BG without pushing the motor at all.

S2?

Lee, I have been involved w/ a similar project. Odd fire stage 2 in a kit COBRA.
We used the drysump. Worked GREAT!! The 3 stage is plenty for the application. Be careful w/ a rebuild on the pump. It's EXPENSIVE!! The D/S folks will do it, BUT if there's ANY tiny imperfection, it's replaced. I think the rebuild was over $600. 8 sec V6 said he does his own rebuilds for alot less.. May want to call him.
As for the heads, The ASA heads were 9 to1 CR and the Busch heads were 14 to 1. The downside w/ the Busch head is getting a piston w/ enough dish to get the CR down for a turbo/ street application. If he's doing a mod to the heads on the exh side, there's usually very little gasket sealing area left for the headers. We were going to weld the ports up and re-port. The engine guy said that the wall is too thin and will "drop out" when you attempt to weld on it..:eek:

I'd ditch the used titanium valves.. Too much chance of swallowing one..Stainless is my choice.
T/D and Jesels use 2 different oil systems to oil the rockers.
The lifters can be rebuilt.. ISKY lifters?? Rev kit?

It'll take a considerable amt of turbo to make the engine run as well on the street as a Champ headed engine...;)

I have some info if you want a copy, e me privately.

S2 heads

I know that with the ports on my S2 heads as large as they are, It would be extremely difficult to drive my S2 car on the street. There is NO velocity under 5k rpm without boost. It can be a bit of a challenge to get the compression down usng a S2 Busch head as well. My motor was directly out of a Busch pit crew corner. They were running like an 18 to 1 C/R or something crazy like that. I ended up having to replace their 6.5" Carillos with some 6.25" C&A rods and had to have a heavilly dished set of pistons made by Lunati (they were the only ones who would do them). I run a 3-stage drag race style dry sump and even though I rarely drive my car on the street, I've been told that the Weaver pumps are very rugged and hold up well to just about anything.

Back