You can type here any text you want

Can you use FAST b-b w/o wbo2

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

polar ice

Is it possible to run a FAST system in closed loop without the optional WBO2. It says that this OPTION is for closed loop at WOT, what about the other operating ranges? Is there anyone who knows what all the readouts in the dashboard are for. (ie lambda.target lambda,delta map,Diag a,Diag b,code,op mode ,etc). I thought at least a glossary would have been supplied so we know what we are looking at. I talked with FAST and they told me that ther was no narrow band provision implemented, well then why do they advertise the wb02 as an option for WOT closed loop. Is this correct or an i getting the runaround..

Furious... but not so FAST...anymore
THanks

The wide band is a great tuning tool, but not absolutely necessary.

Some alternatives:

- Get a VE table from someone with a similar setup
- Get a standalone O2 sensor ('narrow band') in order to calibrate your VE table to match a 14.7:1 A/F ratio, you can change the A/F ratio later (once the VE table is verified). WOT could then be calibrated on a dyno.
- Tune purely by smell, feel & ET (not a very scientific way to do it).

I think most people would agree that it is highly recommended.

There is somewhat of a glossary (abbreviations) at http://www.fuelairspark.com/support/glossary.asp

Don't worry about the diagnostic codes, op modes, etc. MAP is the Manifold Air Pressure, and "delta" (from the greek alphabet) means change, so delta map means the change in manifold air pressure (probably because you changed throttle position).

-Bob Cunningham

Thanks Bob!

I know a wbo2 is recomended , but is it necessary to go into closed loop at cruise or idle?

Yes. Closed loop means that the ECM adjusts the injector activity according to what it sees happening in the exhaust- without an O2 sensor, the ECM can't make that adjustment.

When you are talking about controllers, closed-loop means that the controller is adjusting according to a sensor- for example a temperature controller might have a temperature probe that feeds back a temperature reading, so it operates "closed loop". Or a motor controller might get a tachometer feedback to do it's control. It's not always necessary- for example an AC motor controller can generally assume that if it generates a certain frequency, the motor will turn a certain speed (open loop), there is no tachometer to close the loop. For other controllers to operate in open loop is usually possible, but it depends on how it is programmed. Once you get the VE table accurate in the FAST, you might want to leave it in open loop, relying only on the tables that you've programmed to keep it accurate.

-Bob Cunningham

Back