Can't break 'em loose! Help!

mongoosetoo

All right, it takes a lot of guts for me to admit the following...

My car won't break the tires loose and do a burnout! It's an 88 cutlass w/ the entire 85 GN drivetrain, engine, trans and rear. OK, the trans is not a GN one, but it's in good shape for now and it is a 200 r4.

Anyway, the car purrs like a kitty - it sounds very mean and aggressive - like it should. The exhaust is a simple single 2 1/2" pipe all the way back with a muffler. No catalytic converter - off road use. The computer spits out no codes, fuel pressure is perfect.

The car is relatively gutted, with just factory sheetmetal and glass, but only one seat and a dash. So it's even lighter than stock. Gears are limited slip, 8.5 - 3.42:1.

This car runs perfect except it seems slow off the line. Once it gets up and gets going, it does well, probably a 16 second car. This is my first GN, I guess I expected more even though it's only a hot air, I figured it would be meaner. Am I wrong?

The engine has 22 miles on it and while breaking it in, I had a problem seating the rings. Now all cylinders are showing around 125 psi, so I assume the rings have seated now. really the cars runs and accelerates really smoothly, has no problem getting up to 80 or 90, but it's just slow off the line - it acts like a non-turbo 231 off the line and then comes alive about 20 mph.

Any thoughts? Don't make me pull this motor out and put an LT-1 in it!

I'm trying new gas tomorrow, the gas in it now has been in there for about six months.

Thanks, mongoosetoo

Wrong torque converter !!! While any 2004r will work, you must have the higher stalled converter from an 84-87 Gn-TType. 2400-2600 rpm. Also check your boost level, factory setting is 12 pounds. If thats okay my guess would be the converter.

I think you nailed it! I completely forgot about flashing the torque convertor. I'll check the tach tomorrow when I hit the gas to see where it stalls at. Thanks, good advice!
mongoosetoo

Converter~!!!! That was my first impression when i read this!!!

After that, all I could say was fuel and boost. If you have old fuel in it, you gotta get a tank of some clean stuff int here, possibly a new filter. Do you have an aftermarket boost guage? If so, what boost....If it is like 4-7 psi, you may have some issues. If it is 12-16, you should be haulin!!! Lastly, what about the exhaust?

Aftermarket? Stock? Make sure if you are running a cat, tha tthe cat isnt plugged. That really makes these cars (and all cars in the world) slugs!!!

Good luck....send pics!!!!!!

John :biggrin: