Can't find oil leak

BJM

I took my transmission cover off and everything looked pretty dry in there although there was oil in the bottom of it. The engine from the front to the back has oil on it. Coul oil flow along the whole engine, down the starter and onto the cross over pipe? Seems weird.

How hard is it to change the front seal?

Originally posted by BJM
How hard is it to change the front seal?

It's not too hard, but and you should change the timing chain while you are there. you can buy a "timing chain replacement gasket kit" from felpro at most chain autoparts store (except autozone, I think) for about $10. It includes a new style front seal. See GNTtype.org for the timing chain swap instructions.

A few wacks with a hammer and a screw driver will pop the old rope seal shell out of the front cover, deburr the swages and install the new rubber seal.

Word of warning. Don't do what I did. Do not use the timing cover gasket that comes in the kit. Go to the GM dealer and buy a timing cover gasket (see my engine diagrams for the proper part number). The felpro gasket as delivered covers a significant portion of the oil passages and has to be "modified" while the GM gasket is perfect in every way.

20 minutes after finishing my swap, I found a brand new GM TC gasket that had been a box for 5 years. I was pissed :)

Remember that you will need to reset the cam sensor, when done.

You can run some engine dye and a use a black light to pinpoint the exact location of the leak. Nothing worse then replacing something and it NOT be the fix :)

Where to get engine dye

I have always heard of engine dye, I assume parts places sell it. Does one of those hardware store black light bulbs do the trick or do I need something special?

I had a small oil leak for years...only happened under boost but it would travel along the block on the pass side...get on the starter and eventually get into the inspection cover and drip from the hole in the cover...it was coming from the front pass corner of the intake...pulled the intake and resealed it and no more leak...just something to check...

NAPA and most dealers carry the dye. You might check on borrowing a light from someone. Good ones are a little expensive.

MSDGNs description is bang on what I am seeing. I will have to look at the intake more. How long does it take to pull the intake?

Can do it in an afternoon...don't even need to pull the valve covers...I also pull the pan and clean it out...when you pull the intake a little water from the intake gets down into the pan...rather be safe then sorry...