You can type here any text you want

Cant remove these pullstraps!!!!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87gninpa

I can get the bottom door panel off fine, and the clips off of the upper panel, but there are no screws holding the pullstraps on. they look like big round bolt heads with a threaded center. are these what theyre supposed to look like? if so, how do i get them off?

Originally posted by 87gninpa
I can get the bottom door panel off fine, and the clips off of the upper panel, but there are no screws holding the pullstraps on. they look like big round bolt heads with a threaded center. are these what theyre supposed to look like? if so, how do i get them off?

It sounds like someone used rivet nuts to mount the pull straps.
Rivet nuts expand when tightened and I don't think they are
reverseable. You may end up having to drill them out or cut
the big round heads off to remove them.
Then you need to find new rivet nuts or come up with a
different way to mount the straps.

I'm guessing this is on your GN?? Well, they originally had phillips head screws. Eventually, if you actually use the pull straps, the screws will loosen up and then the holes get stripped out, and the straps won't stay tight. It sounds like maybe someone replaced these with rivets. If that is the case, you will have to drill these out to get them off. Then just find a bigger screw to hold them in, and don't ever use the straps again for anything, except to look at.

So if i drill a drill bit into them, will the pull out or screw out? after further inspection, they do turn, but the dont get looser or tighter, jsut stay the same so im positive that they are rivets. I jsut think its wierd that they were replaced on both doors and none of the original phillips heads are there. after i drill the rivets out, can i simply drill bigger screws in through the pullstraps? what will i drill into?

That sounds like a good idea to keep mine on and not losing the caps.

If they spin, then it will be a little difficult to drill out. If you are careful, then you shouldn't hit anything behind it. If you aren't, then you'll go right through the glass then the door, provided you have a long enough bit. Bigger screws should work. Rivets work good, but if you have to take the door apart, then you are going to have to deal with drilling them out again.

Brian

Originally posted by 87gninpa
So if i drill a drill bit into them, will the pull out or screw out? after further inspection, they do turn, but the dont get looser or tighter, jsut stay the same so im positive that they are rivets. I jsut think its wierd that they were replaced on both doors and none of the original phillips heads are there. after i drill the rivets out, can i simply drill bigger screws in through the pullstraps? what will i drill into?

Use a sharp drill bit that is slightly smaller than the rivet head.
Once you remove the head, the rest of the rivet inside the door
will likely just fall into the door or can be easily removed from
inside. It'll spin when you try drilling, but keep working at it
until you eat away at the head enough to remove the straps.

Back