Can't stand the drone anymore

Joe 1320

Torqueus Maximus
I need some ideas to quiet down the exhaust. 3" jet hot downpipe, Poston headers, Kenne Bell 3" single shot with twin inline Walker ultraflows, one in place of the cat and one right in front of the differential. Tailpipe exit is stock location on the passenger side. The drone at low thorttle levels and at cruise is getting annoying for my older ears, any thoughts (before changing the single shot) as to how to quiet this beast down? Here's a test firing video: YouTube - MP4 0007

this muffler soundoff has been around for some time but maybe it can help.
Muffler Soundoff

Dont see the old ATR Pitbulls on that list. The BEST sounding muffler on GN's hands down.

My 2 previous TR's had them, along with my current GN. I get so many compliments on how nasty my car sounds along with the disbelief that it is a V6 making that noise.:cool:

Dont see the old ATR Pitbulls on that list. The BEST sounding muffler on GN's hands down.

My 2 previous TR's had them, along with my current GN. I get so many compliments on how nasty my car sounds along with the disbelief that it is a V6 making that noise.:cool:

Wish someone would make these mufflers again:frown:

You should try them with a set of TA headers. It changes the tone just a little.

Friends have equated to sound like a V12 jag.

Running the dual 3" system we sell. Doesn't drone. Had a single shot on my GN at one time and couldn't stand it.

You should try them with a set of TA headers. It changes the tone just a little.

Friends have equated to sound like a V12 jag.

I have the TA headers on it also. Its a one of a kind sound for sure.

Sorry, sport...no suggestions. Why? Because your GN SOUNDS GREAT!!!!:eek: I loved it!! :D I only hope my '87 GN sounds like that when I'm finished working on it. I'm old, too, 61 years as a matter of fact, got sidepipes (hooked up to headers) on my '69 Corvette, (modified 350 with ram air) and I'm still bitching about making it louder! My wife and I can't hear each other at all when we're cruising in it, :biggrin: I even unhooked the radio, as high performance engine sounds are music to my ears.(and I'm a musician to boot) The ground shakes when I start it. A Mark Donohue moment for me.:tongue:

Thanks for posting the video of your exhaust sound. It brough tears to my eyes and shouts of "Right on, baby!" as my wife looked on in astonishment..she liked it, too. For me, never too old to be loud. Maybe I should post a video of me playing Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner....pretty loud, but nothing comparded to how teriffic your GN sounds. Sorry. You could send me your whole exhaust system to me for my '87 GN if you want....Christmas is coming up, you know. Would look so nice under the tree.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thanks for all the suggestions..... if a muffler (or two) swap doesn't work, then I might opt for the RJC exhaust.

Sorry, sport...no suggestions. .

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thanks Bruce! I do love this setup for short trips. :cool:

I wonder what that 4" setup sounds like? I had a 4" catback on my Pontiac WS6 and the freaking thing sounded like a prostocker at certain rpms. Waaayyyy too much attention from that system.

What would make rjc exhaust so silent as it only has 1 muffler ,,I have 3 and it still makes some noise but no drone

Thanks for all the suggestions..... if a muffler (or two) swap doesn't work, then I might opt for the RJC exhaust.

Thanks Bruce! I do love this setup for short trips. :cool:

I wonder what that 4" setup sounds like? I had a 4" catback on my Pontiac WS6 and the freaking thing sounded like a prostocker at certain rpms. Waaayyyy too much attention from that system.

You're welcome. Just pure envy, that's all. The RJC system is what I'm very seriously considering. Looks like they got the fitment and assembly down perfect. On their video it sounds very, very sinister. A beautiful exhaust system. Check them out. It is a 3" system with one muffler mounted in the stock location. I thinking hard about this for my '87 GN. I've heard a 4"...it is loud as hell. But, of course, I love ProStockers, too. The louder the better for this old guy. Maybe getting deaf has something to do with it.:tongue: If you decide on the RJC, hurry, it's on sale for a limited time. Looks like it could make you happy. Enjoy that space shuttle rumble of yous.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Some of those stainless systems sure look nice. :cool: The 3" with a crossflow muffler sounds really tame, that 4" though kinda has my interest. Any sound clips out there?

I did a little more observing of the sound last night, it seems like from 1700-1900 rpm is where the sound tends to boom and drone. Downshifting to a higher rpm makes this go almost dead quiet. :confused:

I have Magnaflows on mine , and have drone at the same RPM, I wonder if the gutted 3'' cat is doing this? Anyone have any thoughts?

The 3" with a crossflow muffler sounds really tame,

I thought you wanted to get rid of the drone? The idea of the cross flow was to get rid of the drone. I run dual 3inch ATR SS with pit bulls on my ten sec T and it has a little drone but its not exactly quiet, even with a cat it drones some.