Car Audio n00b questions.

willitell

Naturally Aspirated
Alright I've read a lot, and I feel like it's all going over my head.
I have a '79 cutlass, with the Stock 1979 shaft style AM radio.

I would like to play CDs, and of course have the option to listen to FM radio. My taste in music varies... Punk Rock, Classic Rock, rap, etc, and I know each has different needs as far as designing and tuning the sound.
I drive my parent's cars and the modern factory stereos generally satisfy me, I'd just like a little more volume, and a touch more bass, but not losing the balance of the sound.

I'm on a budget, and would like to stick somewhere in $300-$500 range. I've done all the work on my car myself minus one motor mount, so I'll be tackling the install. I've already decided on doing a custom door panel setup for a pair of front speakers. The head unit will go in the stock location, using a bezel and install kit for a later cutlass. And the rear speakers would go in the stock locations. The sub box would be in the trunk all the way forward.

I'd like to get an entire system I can live with installed in one shot, especially with summer cruising weather upon me. And at the moment I'm adrift in a sea of Brands, Subs, Speakers, Head Units, and Amps not knowing which way is up or what I want/need.

I would be grateful if anyone has setups similar to what I want or advice they could share. Thanks in Advance!

-Will

Long Island, at least parts of it, is a good place to get your stereo stolen. I get cars from there and many times nice stereos are long gone. Check this thread out: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/ca...uction-look-like-stock-radio.html#post1537768

ebay has gobs of good used stuff and it will help your budget dramatically. I could give you a shopping list but ready-to-install equipment combos really don't exist. Got to know sizes of speaker holes, how many speakers total, interior configuration, etc. For your budget it can be done and done well but mostly you will be hunting for bargains - and that's ok!

Ok, here's a shopping list:

Alpine 9885 - iPod interface, multi-line display, highly recommended on Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers, a reputable car stereo website. Alpine CDA-9885 Car MP3 CD Player Used Stereo Headunit - eBay (item 190214743599 end time Apr-19-08 07:00:40 PDT)
It's $66 right now with shipping. Even if it doubles to $130, that is 50% off new. New = Alpine CDA-9885 CD receiver with MP3/WMA/AAC playback at Crutchfield.com

Alpine MRP-F450 - 70watts x 4 channels, built-in crossover, looks good and matches. Alpine 4 channel power amp MRP-F450 - eBay (item 120247243368 end time Apr-17-08 14:44:15 PDT)
It's $56 right now with shipping. Another good deal. New = Alpine Electronics of America, Inc. - MRP-F450

I would get those basics now, then see how your budget goes. If you snooze you lose.

Yeah, I live in one of the nicer parts... but everything's in such close proximity.... There was someone either on this board or somewhere else that said our cars have an appeal to a certain segment of the population.

I might even mount it in the glovebox and leave the stock one in place... but there are / are going to be a few other giveaways that it's not a grandma's beater... which makes me a target.

Thanks I'll see what I can pull down with those.

Just bought the 4 ch amp.... But in the heat of bidding I paid more than I should've there were NIB units for a few more bucks....

Oh Well.

still trying to find that head unit for the best price.

Good for you! FYI, I bought a Kenwood amp off ebay for wife's car and it worked great. Just check it as soon as you get it. If it powers on, you're probably good to go. Seller has reasonably good feedback.

I think I paid $125 for my Alpine headunit, 9827 model just like this one:Alpine CDA-9827 fm/am cd receiver--excellent condition! - eBay (item 260229799854 end time Apr-19-08 19:07:14 PDT).
Good starting bid here for sure.

here is a good website for RCA cables and system fuses: Welcome To The KnuKonceptz Online Store Good and super cheap. I bought my stuff there. Speaker wire is best bought locally at Lowes or somewhere similar. 14 gauge roll, 100', maybe $20. All you'd ever need.

Thanks for your help so far, John. (The head unit you reccomended is exactly what i want feature-wise)
It's kind of rough know what I want the system to do, but not what I need. I think I will end up getting a 9885 or similar alpine with a remote control, and mounting it in the glove box, and I was toying with the idea of putting the speakers under the dash for a "stealth install", but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I just picked up an Alpine 9884 off ebay for $140+shipping

reasons I picked 9884
-full speed ipod
-3 channel pre-amp (front/rear/sub)
-price

arrived today and looks 100x better in person...I'm glad I went with Alpine

I'd recommend Polk db speakers and subs. They will work well in any size and location, are efficient and sound great. Try 6.5" in your custom door panels,
and maybe a 6x9 in rear (for added mid bass) and a pair of 10" or 12" depending on budget. Alpine 4 channel amps (used on e-bay) in a 35x4 will be plenty for the mids/tweets and a sub amp of a reputable brand is fine. I found a single channel bazooka amp (2 ohm stable puts out 500+/- watts) on e-bay ...I got it for my daily driver trucks subs, it does SO well, I couldn't be more pleased. Look for dealer close outs, where you get lightly used products w/ a warranty like I did, and you will be happy.
look at these ;
Mids/twets (coaxial)
POLK AUDIO db651 6.5 CAR / MARINE SPEAKERS 6-1/2 db 651 - eBay (item 360043054193 end time Apr-21-08 09:56:41 PDT)
POLK AUDIO db691 6 x 9 CAR SPEAKERS db 691 NEW 6x9 PAIR - eBay (item 300216472974 end time Apr-21-08 22:47:42 PDT)

12" sub; NEW Polk Audio db124 12" 4 Ohm Subwoofer db Series NIB - eBay (item 180232698607 end time May-12-08 08:30:50 PDT)
Amps....These are the 2 I use in my daily driver and have no issue w/ either;
Alpine V-power MRP-F250 4 channel 2 3 Amplifier F 250 - eBay (item 220223942281 end time Apr-23-08 17:53:31 PDT)
BAZOOKA ELA500.1 WATT MONO SUB AMP AMPLIFIER - eBay (item 270228838742 end time Apr-21-08 21:04:25 PDT)