Car cuts out randomly, frequently, whats the prob. now?

GS70350

Round Headlights.Like em?
You may remember my trouble with my car not starting. Turns out one of the injector harnesses was grounding out on the EGR and stopped the injectors from firing. I got gas, and then it wouldnt crank. this is when i finally figured out what the problem was. On the way home from the gas station, and from then on, the car would drive normally, then all of a sudden, it would cut out completely, and then start going again. I had to let off the gas each time to keep it running, then it would resume running normally. It does it very frequently now, and makes the car buck and blows large amounts of smoke out behind the car as if its loading up on fuel now. It idles fine. fuel pressure is set at 42 psi with the line off.

First it would do it every time it shifted into 2nd and 3rd, it would bog down extremely low and run like crap and spool up the turbo like mad. now it just does it all the time, at any given time while driving.

What could it be? Anything associated with the injector wiring or the ignition module wiring? i was messing with that to diagnose the no start problem.

Thanks

I had a camaro that did that and it was the computer...I checked the codes and got a bunch of codes that didn't exist...It did it mostly in open loop, after the car got warmed up...as soon as the 02 cooled and it went in to closed loop it was fine.

Sounds very much like a MAF problem.

It usually takes more throttle and some boost to bring out a problem in the coil module/pack (if one existed).

A bad maf will usually idle fine, but when trying to apply any throttle at all, it backtalks like a nasty stepchild, and wont want to run.

alright, ill have to check the MAF sensor when i return to Jacksonville since thats where the car is. Any way i can check it without replacing it with a known good one? problem is, there are no GN people in the area, so no friends with known good MAF sensors. Guess ill have to buy one from autozone. Anyone know how much they cost? thanks.

Hey man!!!!

I live right up the road in Gadsden got a 87 GN an friends with them.. Need some help let me know. I was in Jacksonville yesterday ,,, how weird!!!!! Give me a call 256-390-9410 Chris

The NAPA Echlin manufactured one was okay for me when my stocker died.

Looks cheesy but works fine.

It worked okay (daily) until I found a new stocker. :)

Chris, are you by chance Chris Tidmore? Went to look at a GN for sale by a Chris Tidmore i believe in Gadsden a while back, had a nice amount of engine work done to it and it was very nice. I just moved to Huntsville this past week, ill be back down this weekend and ill give you a ring.

Thanks

That would be me!

Yea that car is now actually owned by a guy in Huntsville name Jose. Will be here Saturday but not sure about Sunday suppose to go with GF to Chattanooga on a boat outing. "WOO HOO" an I mean that in a sarcastic way. Man I just got through changing turbos on this GN went from a 60 to 44. Bad seal in 60. Crank it up after while an count the oil leaks,,HAHAHAHAH an get this its 2a.m. Yea don't remember ya bad memory these last couple years. Try to refresh me, did you look at it "old GN" at my house or at the restaurant, no its not important but usually remember people who I talk to about these cars. Got a friend with a mass air "extra" one. It thats the culprit of your problems. Is that your motor in the pic by your name, if so looks like you gotta powerstroke intercooler with those funky return an supply lines. Seems i'm long winded so dude give me a call maybe I can help. If not good luck these cars can be a real pain soometimes..

the injector harnesses was grounding out on the EGR and stopped the injectors from firing.

How did you repair that problem? Any chance the problem still lingers?

It sounds like RUQWKNF27 is going to be a lot of help to you. Good guys on the board, eh?

Best of Luck :)

Went to look at your car at your house. I actually drove the car down there to look at yours, although it didnt look like it does now. If you remember a black Ttype with the lear siegler interior, and 3 guys in it, i was one of them. We looked at it for a fair bit and you gave me a list of things done to it, from engine to suspension to body, about 2 pages long. ATR rear bar, 3 inch single exhaust, PT54 turbo, 009 injectors, CAS V4 intercooler, etc etc. Paint had been fixed in drivers side rear quarter panel, forget why. Slight fractures in paint above the B pillars from body flex, nice interior. Had some weld drag lites or some other Weld wheels with some hoosier quick times in the rear, you pushed on the car and it swayed side to side from the soft sidewall of the large rear tires. You also had all of the original parts in the detatched garage/carport including the original wheels.

I seem to remember pretty well, not too often i get to see any turbo regals locally so i cherish the moment, hehe. :D

Ill give you a call friday afternoon if your available then, maybe i can get that spare MAF sensor. We have a lakehouse up in rainbow city so i spread my weekend out between the lake and Jacksonville.

Yea the board and the people on it are really helpful.

I doubt the problem is still with the inj harness wiring since i wrapped the damaged area with electrical tape and rerouted it away from the EGR.

went home to check it first, looked and the (ground?) wire going to the MAF sensor had a loosely crimped crimp connector on it. i replaced the crimp connector and got it tight, and it works great now. got it up to huntsville this weekend, so i dont guess ill be needing the spare MAF sensor anytime soon. thanks for the help. Chris, do you ever go to steele? If so maybe we could meet up there one day and tune a bit.

Yea

use to go alot but now it seems on friday nights its more like a party then a dragway, an I hate to wait in line for 30 minutes when there is some dumb redneck in front of me with a ford Dually full of guys screaming an cussing sloppy drunk. So now if i do go its on sunday afternoon. But now got to watch usually . The GN I have now is sold if the people ever come a n get it. Suppose to thursday, had to sell the car for a business opportunity. If it does good then I aim to get another one an go all out with it, which means fast as hell an louder turbo whine then your average Kenworth if you gety my drift. I read above that you may call this Friday that wil be alright. This Friday night going to a track outside of Chattanooga Tenn in a small town called Bradenton-Dragway you may have heard of it. Never been but friends up that way say their are plenty of fast cars yp there an some tr's. So gonna go a n check it out. Your welcome to come. ttyl