You can type here any text you want

Car is not starting! Think I might have damaged my DFi box, please help.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TwoLaneBlackTop

About done
Well, a few days ago I drove my car a little bit and parked it outside, I spilt a lot of gas around the car a few minutes before and figured I will let it rain on the car to wash the smell away. Any ways I have regretted letting the car stay out in the rain.

I went to pull it in the garage and I turned the key to ready and no fuel pump prime, I tried to start and it acts like it want to turns over goes then stays at 800 rpm for a second then dies.

Any ways I push the car into the garage and later that night check the DFi box connection I figured maybe they are loose, well when I unplug the connector a little bit of water came out of the conector, some how water got to my DFi box conector err, there was no sign of water any where else but a little got to the point where the stock harness connects to the DFi harness. I dried it out, hooked things back up and turn the key to the ready and sure enough the pump primed, I figured it would start right up next time. I also took the top off the DFi box and nothing seemed to be burnt up. (This is a GEN 6 SEQ. unit)

Well, today I put my brand new coil pack/module on my car and turn the key to the ready and pump primes, then I try to start and the same thing happens, it just wont run!

I am getting fuel, I have correct pressure, and the plugs were wet. I am also getting a spark, pulled a plug and grounded it and saw spark. My cam sensor is set the correct way and the car ran fine a few days ago. I can turn the key to the ready and I can access the Di with my laptop.

I am afraid that maybe the unit got damaged by the tiny bit of water that got to the connector, but if it was why would I have any spark or fuel? What do you guys think? Did I damage my DFi? And what else could this be?

Ouch. Water and electronics don't usually mix well. I don't think the Gen 6 circuit boards were conformally coated (the Gen 7 ones are, they can survive a little water). As long as you have the box cracked open, look carefully for deposits left by water being on the circuit board. See if you can see any water marks on the circuit board itself. If you can, that is bad news. The deposits left by water damage can conduct electricity, and cause all kinds of strange things to happen.

Other than that, I've got little to work with. I'm working from home today due to the damn blackout. Although, power at home, but not at work, is not necessarily a bad thing.

FWIW the Gen 6 boards I have seen were conformally coated but I've only seen a couple.

Brighton (where I am) is the first stop west of Detroit with power. There are about 50 zillion people jammed into here looking for gas, water and ice, and Brighton is now officially out of all three. I have heard that Detroit Edison isn't expected to be back online until Sunday. :( Sound like home is the place to be!

Brighton (where I am) is the first stop west of Detroit with power. There are about 50 zillion people jammed into here looking for gas, water and ice, and Brighton is now officially out of all three. I have heard that Detroit Edison isn't expected to be back online until Sunday. Sound like home is the place to be!

Yeah, I'm in Canton. Our power came back on about 7:30 this morning. Once the news people blabbed about it, everyone and their brother ran over here to fill their cars up. Messed up the roads something fierce. Thank goodness for built-in icemakers (we never really lost our water) and AC.

Back