You can type here any text you want

Car runs better with MAF unhooked

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
Ok from a cold start with the MAF sensor hooked up it will fire right up go to a high idle and die, if it warmed it it will start go to a high idle come down and run rough and sputter also the idle will surge up and down. Now if I unplug the MAF before I start it it will start right up go to a high idle come down a bit but still idle kinda high, but will run much smother and won't cut off. Of course I figured the MAF was bad so I changed it out with a refurbished sensor and no change. Any ideas

I'm sure you are already aware of the stock refurbished MAF's are hit and miss when purchasing. You may go thru several before getting a functioning one. And the newer, i.e. Lt-1, Ls-1's etc. are much less prone to the problem and can indicate the translater is at fault.

Sorry should have mentioned that it is a 3" LT1 MAF. Also the translator is brand new only about 1 week old.

Did you recently clean your K&N filter? If putting too much oil on the filter, can damage the MAF sensor if the oil reaches it. Also MAF cleaners have to be of the sensor safe type. Air leaking past the MAF will create havoc as well as it is un-metered and causes a problem w/the ecm.

Could be air leak in maf hose if you still have the original. Also what are your scan master numbers? Also make sure translator dip switches are set correct.

Filter is new so I haven't messed with that, have the a cold air kit with the metal pipes and all the couplers and clamps are new, have the dip switches and dials set correct. These are my scan master readings from last week, haven't messed with it much since then other than changing the MAF sensor. Didn't bother getting those numbers because it ran the exact same.

02 milivolts around 70
Af 07
L8 between 30-38
Batt 13.9
Int 128
Bl back and forth between 128 & 142 ( was like this even when it ran great )
Clt 168
Ats 138
Rpm surges between 800-1300
TPS .46
Iac 00
Cc 04
Nal 00

Not sure if there was a change since the inception of the later MAF's, but there was limited part numbers that would be compatible w/the translators. Did you insure to get the correct one?

Bought it from a well known board member, figured he would know which ones work with our cars. Also I had no idea that there were ones that wouldn't work with the translator so I was not a question that I thought to ask.

It may not be a problem anymore, I haven't kept up w/the progression since I upgraded.
When I upgraded the 86, I changed inj., cai, ls-1, trans, 62mm t/b, 1/2" spacer, turbo and chip together, so I don't see the need for a chip. Did you relocate your canister and hoses? Maybe check your connectors for a bent pin or even a check valve reinstalled backwards?

I did change vac lines and check valves but that was before my problems started. What is the proper orientation for the check valves ? I will recheck them now.

Check valves are correct. Here is a picture of my translator settings which I believe to be correct. image.jpg

Iac should not be 0. Computer has not control over idle with it on 0. Turn the "idle screw" on the tb counter clockwise until you get it in the 10-20 range, then reset your tps. May not be the problem, but that needs to be addressed for proper idle.

I reset the iac again earlier and I can't get it within 20-30 range. Actually it all over the place, sometimes it's high others its at 0. For what it's worth the sensor is a new AC Delco and even when it ran good I could not keep it steady.

Set the MAF Base to 4, then reset the ECM (disconnect power for a few seconds) and drive around a bit with it warmed up.

See if that helps out.

Couldn't drive far ( bumpers in the shop ) but didn't seem to make much of a difference. Could it be I possibly got another bad MAF or should I look elsewhere.

What are the o2 numbers and activity during cruise? How old is the o2 sensor and what chip are you running? Also check the wiring on the plug of the iac for good clean connections.

O2 sensor is brand new, running a TT chip, can't get any cruise numbers right now bumpers are off the car and it's running lean with the MAF plugged in so I figured best not to drive it much right now.

Back